Owners Direct

(19 Posts)
DuffyMoon Tue 20-Jan-09 18:38:39

has anyone used them - are you protected the same as if you were booking with a villa company. Anyone got any positive/negative stories

thank you

aznerak Tue 20-Jan-09 18:45:28

We have a property advertised on them. You are booking direct with the owner not via Owners Direct.

We have had many bookings via Owners Direct and we have found that most people like Owners Direct as you do deal direct with the owner, so get a more personal service and can find out exactly what the villa offers etc.

hope that helps! Do ask if you want to know anything else.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 20-Jan-09 18:47:33

no protection, but we have booked with owners on onwers direct and holiday rentals a number of times, and never had any problems.

littlerach Tue 20-Jan-09 18:54:04

First time I used them we were let down.
Used them last year and was fine.

Ruthiebabes Tue 20-Jan-09 20:00:21

We have booked with holidaylettings.co.uk, a and another website, both are where you book direct with the owner. These sites are generally for owners to advertise their properties, so there is no protection.

We have had no problems, and is generally much cheaper. They have both been very clean and of a high standard.

Will use again without a doubt.

I used them last year and it was fine. It was nice to be able to deal with the owners directly

DuffyMoon Tue 20-Jan-09 20:15:13

Ooooo Aznerak - can I ask you where your property is?

Aimsmum Tue 20-Jan-09 21:16:56

Message withdrawn

aznerak Tue 20-Jan-09 21:41:47

its in the South of France (Languedoc) and has 4 bedrooms, with private pool, in heart of French wine village.

My parents have an ad here on Mumsnet on the small ads (its here.

They only have a few weeks left and offer mumnsetters discounts if that helps!

mumoverseas Wed 21-Jan-09 05:49:50

ooooh, brief hijack with a question for aznerak. We own a villa in Florida and got an email from owners direct yesterday (we made an enquiry with them months ago) offering us a discounted deal for signing up with them. Sounds like you can recommend them and they are reliable? Would be grateful for any tips you may have.

we've used them quite a lot. I don't think you are protected but I've found it really useful being able to talk to the owners about the local area, things to do, places to eat etc.
Our only negative experience is last year we booked an apartment with a shared pool at Easter(which we wanted - an opportunity we thought for the children and us to meet other people) BUT the pool was closed and wasn't due to open til a month later. No mention of that in the information and when we contacte the owner he said there was nothing he could do about it. Would have appreciated a bit of a refund as we'd never have booked an apartment without a pool but he wasn't interestd. All our other experiences have been excellent and without exception the apartments have been brilliantly equipped and very reasonable.

aznerak Wed 21-Jan-09 21:45:32

Hi mumoverseas

we have had no probs with Owners Direct at all. Ultimately they are just a mode for advertising. We have the villa elsewhere but I always prefer dealing with guests directly so I can tailor the info for them, tell them things relevant to them etc. We try to provide a home from home experience and as such I think they prefer dealing with the owner than a middle man

bec144 Thu 22-Jan-09 15:18:03

We have used owners direct to book a fantastic break to a house in Brittany called Avalec - it was the most child friendly house and garden we have EVER been to and have already booked to take our boys againt his year!
So we booked our first time through owners direct and this second time directly with the owners. They've set their own site up now called:
WWW.avalec.com

Just have a look !

pud1 Thu 22-Jan-09 20:46:39

mil uses them all the time. never any problems

philopastry Sun 25-Jan-09 19:20:36

We have used them lots of times - always had lovely apartments at reasonable rates. Also owners can be flexible re changeover dates and even the price - we got an absulte steal last year by asking the owners of a few for their best price on a 3 weeker.

tigerbump Mon 26-Jan-09 17:00:35

we've booked with owners who advertise on ownersdirect and never had any problems I would say try and book with a VISA and see if your holiday insurance covers it.

liss62401 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:58:45

Hello,

I've just gotten back from holiday with a place booked by OwnersDirect. The major fault of OwnersDirect for me is that the user feedback isn't actual user feedback and not calling out that it isn't actual users. Since they can't check all of the owners, who knows if the 'feedback' is genuine. I would have to say the comments from the property we rented, that I would need to question its validity and because of their T&C's they can't even let you know what happens between them and the owner once you file a formal complaint.

For those of you who are Pro-Owners Direct I would warn you against the owner we just used. http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/greece/Gr623.htm#contact (please note the date this was posted as the listing could change)

When searching on the site - we looked for properties with heated pools as we were going to be on holiday in early April. When we booked for 5 days there was a surcharge of £150 since we were booking under 7 days. To us this wasn't unusual so we went ahead. Once we arrived at the property - there were no instructions about the property, nearest amenities in town, etc. So we just started to settle in and went into town. The next morning we woke up and didn't have any hot water. We called the property manager because we also realised the pool heating wasn't on. His response was 'here is how you turn on the hot water, as for the pool it wasn't mentioned to us that it would need to be turned on and you'll need to talk directly to the owner about that since it takes 3-4 days to heat up and we don't have it running all the time as it is really expensive.'

While I appreciate that it is expensive to heat the pool - that to me seemed as something that should have been factored into the price and was similarly priced to other heated pool properties. We contacted the owner and it took her two days to get back to us and stated 'everyone asks specifically for that to be turned on. For it to be turned on will be £550 on top of the rental costs. I can turn it on however, it does take 3-4 days to heat up.' From a renters perspective, it is false advertising. No where on the profile or with emails with the owner was the extra charge called out, or was it asked if we would want to have the pool heated. The ad said that there was heating so we assumed it would be there.

I want to warn others against this owner since OD doesn't have a feedback system that shows what the actual users are saying. I wish I'd found this out prior to our booking as we weren't able to enjoy the feature that we'd paid a higher price rental charge for the 5 day holiday to enjoy some sun.

We currently haven't heard back from the owner as we've mentioned that we believe she has violated Consumer Protection Law and the local Trading Standard. As we haven't heard back I'm just trying to warn others as I know this owners has at least 4 other properties in Crete and wouldn't want anyone else to miss out on a great holiday experience.

dreamingofsun Sat 20-Apr-13 10:36:11

liss - sorry to hear about that. i guess you know about the small claims court? this is why i always try and use someone in the uk, so i know if it goes wrong i do at least have failry straightforward legal redress.

dreamingofsun Sat 20-Apr-13 10:38:35

ps - have you printed the details off the website just in case they change it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now