ryanair card charges

(20 Posts)
jimmyjammys Fri 24-Oct-08 10:25:51

does anyone else think this is completely outrageous - I just booked some ryanair flights for 4 people and i paid on my debit card and they charged £4.00 per person so even though it's only one card transaction I had to pay £16.00 card fees - is that even legal??

MadameCastafiore Fri 24-Oct-08 10:33:25

This was on watchdog last week - he asked the head honcho about it as theyonly get charged about 10p by the card issuer!

There is one card that it is free with but I can't remember what it was.

jimmyjammys Fri 24-Oct-08 10:36:11

thanks - did they say what was going to happen or just allow it to continue. After card charges and baggage charges I don't think ryanair is that much cheaper then BA!

tuesdayafternoon Fri 24-Oct-08 10:52:00

I don't know about ryanair, but bmibaby have their own credit card & there is no card fee with that but they charge £5 per person with a debit card & £7 with credit shock

Oh, I think maybe ryanair don't charge if you pay with electron?

If you consider it as part of the fare then it's not so much outrageous as misleading - I recently priced bmibaby flights with a headline price of £25.99 each way, & once taxes, check-in, baggage & card fees were added in it went up to over £61 - which is still not a bad fare but it's not £25.99...

jimmyjammys Fri 24-Oct-08 22:37:33

they should just be upfront instead of all these misleading practices. You don't have a choice but to pay by card - I don't have a problem with a fee but to charge per person instead of per card is going too far.

slipperthief Sun 26-Oct-08 19:25:19

I had exactly the same when we booked with ryanair - they seemed to mention all of the other fees, for bags etc, but then this extra fee just mysteriously appeared after I'd paid. And now trying to add extra baggage they seem to be charging an the same £24 card fee again (for 3 people on return journeys) on top of the £16 for the one bag itself. Bloody cheek. Won't be booking with them again.

Lucy87 Sat 29-Nov-08 04:48:30

That happened to me this week also - 0 pound fares but 16 quid for paying with a credit card. How ridiculous!

Two 0 pound fares actually ended up costing me over 100 quid. Humph!

DadInsteadofMum Mon 01-Dec-08 13:25:19

European law has recently chnaged so advertised fares have to include all costs for flight, i.e. taxes fuel surcharges etc. But it doesn't include "discretionary" charges i.e. there should be some way that you don't have to pay.

Ryanair fought the introduction of this law all the way, now that they have to comply they are looking for ways that they can comply with the letter of the law when offering their £1 fares but still loading the charges elsewhere, so baggage fees have gone up (you don't have to take luggage), priority boarding (which used to be free if you checked in on line) and of course the credit card fees, which are of course massively disproportionate to the actual fee incurred.

I imagine Ryanair's reaction will be the usual happy smiling face whilst saying pay or don't fly - your choice.

colm1983 Thu 02-Apr-09 14:29:56

Message withdrawn

Kiwinyc Thu 02-Apr-09 14:35:59

get yourself a visa electron card, thats the only one they don't charge a fee to use. Not that I would go anywhere near Ryanair if trying to travel as a family anyway. They are no bargain when things go wrong and you have kids in tow.

MrsMills Thu 02-Apr-09 14:37:05

I presume you're not here to advertise Colm1983, so why don't you go ahead and tell us how to do it? wink

Ponders Thu 02-Apr-09 15:00:44

From the bottom of colm's link:

Any Questions?
Please read the FAQ's page or email me at colm@burnsmediaproducts.co.uk

That'll be some other colm charging £3 for this information then hmm

SydneyB Thu 02-Apr-09 15:05:15

We have to fly Ryanair to visit my parents and so are experts on avoiding their wretched charges which really mount up with 2 LOs in tow. Get yourself a Visa Electron card(Halifax do one) and you won't have to pay those charges. I loathe flying with them especially as they don't let families on first anymore. Just point blank refuse to pay for priority boarding but it's just ridiculous. Got on flight more or less last the other day, was full, and we just had to stand there until sone kind soul offered to move. I just don't understand the logic of it as Ryanair are obssessed by their turnaround times and this obviously slows them down. Sorry, have hijacked thread for general Ryanair rant!

trixymalixy Thu 02-Apr-09 15:25:20

There was a thread on here recently that said somethig along the lines of if you buy Ryanair gift vouchers they don't charge you for buying them with a credit card and you can use them straight away.

Badpups Thu 02-Apr-09 22:11:24

I second trixymalixy's suggestion of buying Ryanair gift vouchers. We did this recently and saved a fortune! However, they don't give change from the gift vouchers and if you're under by even £1 you'd have to pay this somehow (and therefore incur a fee hmm).

jimmyjammys Thu 02-Apr-09 23:53:17

I hate them with a passion. i just booked a flight for my mum with one bag online check-in. Off the top of my head i think it was £15.00 one way for this. She forgot to check in online and this morning was charged an extra £20 to check in at the airport. And they are charging £1 to use the loos now.

Hersetta Fri 03-Apr-09 10:47:51

I hate Ryanair with a passion but I have to fly with them frequently. However their charges are clearly laid out on their web site and if you don't like them, just don't book with them. They have always said they don't have to justify their charges for credit or debit cards etc- they are what they are and you can take them or leave them. I got myself a visa electron card from the co-op bank very painlessly (all done over the phone) so i could avoid these charges as i have to fly with ryanair 4/5 times a year at least. Yes all the charges add up but if you book far enough in advance and get low cost flights they are still reasonable. Most of my flights to Spain still cost less than my friend pays to go home on the train to Sheffield.

By the way they don't charge £1 for using the loos - that was a stunt by Michael O'Leary- he was joking (for now anyway!).

Can't beleive I'm defending ryanair when i hate them so much.

hifi Fri 03-Apr-09 11:03:47

easy jet charged me £14 for booking with a credit card.you are buggered really as you get more protection apparently by booking with a cc rather than a debit.

MattCutts Mon 23-May-16 19:12:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hersetta427 Thu 26-May-16 15:01:19

this thread is 7 years old !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now