Things to do childfree in Munich

(7 Posts)
Whichoneisit Thu 17-Nov-16 09:50:27

DH and I are going to Munich for a few days next week.

Christmas markets are a must but can anyone recommend other things to do/places to eat?

Whichoneisit Thu 17-Nov-16 20:49:02

Bump

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Fri 18-Nov-16 06:40:21

Bierkellers! Research which ones suit you best. The Hofbrauhaus is touristy and busy but lots of fun. I forget which others we liked as we went 5 years ago.
Explore the Viktuelenmarkt.
Visit the royal palace in the centre. The Treasury is stunning.
Have fun. It's a wonderful city.

kalinkafoxtrot45 Fri 18-Nov-16 06:51:37

If the weather is dry, a walking tour is a good way to learn about the city's history. The Hofbräuhaus is a must see but service leaves something to be desired, I find. Go see the Marienkirche then go eat at Augustiner am Dom, which is lovely. On a clear day go up the tower of Alter Peter, a church near the Viktualienmarkt and you can see for miles, right down to the Alps. On a rainy day, the Stadtmuseum and Deutsches Museum are worth a visit. If you don't mind going a little out of town, the Bavaria Film Studios are really fun and they do a daily English tour at 1pm.

Normandy144 Fri 18-Nov-16 06:57:04

We had a child free weekend there about 18 months ago and it was fabulous. This is going to sound strange but what I liked the most was that there was no pressure to tick off a major list of sights like say you would in a city like Rome. So the weekend was just about eating, drinking and basically doing as much or as little as we liked. We did visit the Munich Residenz which was I believe the old palace which is very ornate. Also good is the Deutches Museum. A previous poster suggested wandering around the Viktualienmarkt which is good.

Food wise we were very surprised. Basically if you like pork you will be fine. We seemed to exist entirely on a diet of pork knuckle - basically roast pork shoulder or leg shank I think with crackling. Also sausages and schnitzel.

Also the bierkellers are a must. Hofbrauhaus is the most famous and you should go there at least once. We also liked Augustinerkeller which was just by our hotel on Arnulfstrasser at Hackerbrucke station.

Enjoy!

Redkite10a Fri 18-Nov-16 07:42:31

For Christmas markets go to the Englisher Garten, the medieval one in Wittelsbacher platz and the one at Sendlingertor, I always preferred them to the very touristy one in Marienplatz (I grew up in Munich).

Like others above I prefer the Augustiner am Dom to the Hofbrauhaus. Italian restaurants are also generally very good compared to ones in the UK, they are run by Italians, Greek and Turkish restaurants can be good too. There are also lots of stalls at the markets, the medieval market has some more interesting food options.

As well as going up the Peterskirche, i always stick my head into the Asamkirche, which is an incredibly over the top Baroque church complete with a gold skeleton (on the way from Sendlingertor to Marienplatz). The Pinakothek art galleries are another option if it's rainy.

Whichoneisit Fri 18-Nov-16 08:35:18

Thank you so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now