Venice - what are the must sees, must dos

(8 Posts)
Helen1966 Tue 15-Nov-16 21:22:51

Husband is taking me to Venice for my 'big' birthday. I am so excited.
We will have 2 whole days and a morning.
So what must we see or do?

IAmTheBFG Wed 16-Nov-16 17:22:48

Venice is my favourite city! It is quite compact with lots of the main attractions clusted together. I would really recommend doing a tour of the Doge's Palace, which will probably take up approximately half a day and going up San Marco Campanile - you can see almos the entire ciy on a clear day. The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is great for filling a few hours, and although gondola rides are expensive, they are well worth the cost.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 16-Nov-16 17:52:05

Love Venice, we also did Ca' Rezzonico which was fascinating

carezzonico.visitmuve.it/en/home/

Notsoskinnyminny Wed 16-Nov-16 19:07:15

We did the secret itinerary tour of the Doges Palace and the guide then took us into St Marks (bypassing the queues) and on a walking tour pointing out things we wouldn't have found by ourselves. Our hotel booked for it us but if you stand with your back to St Mark's square and turn right and walk to a little park there's a kiosk/meeting place - it was money well spent especially if you're only there for a short time. For a good view of St Marks Square get the ferry to the island of San Giorgio and climb to the top of the church, fantastic photos and less crowded than going up the campanile.

We're back there for new year and always find something we've not seen before.

Rosa Wed 16-Nov-16 19:13:03

PM if you want to know anything specific .... I know a little bit about the place !!!!
Agree with ca Rezzonico, Also go to the Scuola Grande San Rocco - next to the Friari church. The Fondamenta Misericordia is great early evening for ciccetti and spritz . Go off the beaten track and don't just stick to Rialto and St Marks. If you want to go out to the islands then allow about 4 hours using public vaporetti. Don't forget to validate your ticket before you get on . Hot Chocolate In San Marco will cost you an arm and a leg but its lovely. GO in the Fondaco dei Turchi near Rialto and maybe DH will be persuaded to buy you another little gift. GO to the top floor offers a great view of the city. .Gondola is €80 for 30 minutes at this time of year its good to go late afternoon before everyone closes the shutters

My list of suggestions is endless .....How are you arriving and departing and where are you staying ?

Helen1966 Wed 16-Nov-16 21:57:26

Rosa.
We have a private transfer booked from the airport to the hotel (car and boat) and are staying at Ai Reali.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will see about them and try to book.

budgiegirl Tue 29-Nov-16 21:56:19

I'd second the Secret Itineraries tour of the Doges Palace - book in advance to skip the lines - well worth the ticket price just for that! You get taken up into the cells and attics of the palace, see the cell where Casanova was imprisoned, pop out of secret doors etc. And you can still wander round the public areas of the palace after.

Have a Spritz at the Banco Giro by the Rialto Market, on the edge of the Grand Canal - bit pricey but well worth it. Then wander the streets in the early evening behind the market, calling into the small bars when you can buy small snacks (ciccehetti) and glasses of wine for about 2 euro a piece.

If you are there on a Saturday lunchtime, at a square near the market, they serve plates of fresh seafood and prosecco for 10 euro, it was packed with locals and tourists, and was lovely.

Just wander, get lost, you'll find so much to see and explore

Vebrithien Tue 29-Nov-16 22:12:06

Get up early and walk through St.Marco's square, and along the waterfront, you'll have it mostly to yourself. If inclined, San Marco's often has an early morning mass. The cafe in the Museo Correr (opposite end of the square to the cathedral) is much more reasonable than those in the square itself, it's in the warm, and has a first floor view over the square. Go up one of the campaniles, personally I preferred San Giorgio's, and take a night the vapretto up or down the Grand Canal. It is worth getting a day pass for the vapretto, if you're planning on using a couple in one day and yes, you MUST validate them before boarding. Comfy shoes too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now