Lapland - Dec 2017

(12 Posts)
KnackeredOldWoman Tue 15-Nov-16 12:31:30

Ho Ho Ho! Hoping to take the DC's to visit Father Christmas in Lapland next Dec, but could do with some advice before I go and make an expensive mistake.

DC's will be 6 & 7 at the time of travel and I'd like to do 3 nights, but which tour operator is best? Who gives value for money and the best experience? I don't fancy being amongst huge crowds of people. DD has ASD ( crowds are a challenge) so looking for a lovely, magical and authentic experience. We'd love to do a husky ride but we are not a sporty family, so not interested in skiing etc.

I'd be grateful for any advice, thank you!cake

KnackeredOldWoman Tue 15-Nov-16 12:38:27

Bump!

Natsku Tue 15-Nov-16 12:48:27

Husky/reindeer rides are lovely. Ice fishing is nice if there's an opportunity to do that. And of course just playing in the snow/sledging for the kids.

Leapling Tue 15-Nov-16 12:51:45

We have booked this year with Thomson. Read great reviews for Inghams and not so great for Transun.

Thomson for Mon-Fri (4 nights) for 2 adults and 1 child was £2500. We didn't book excursions with them as they seemed expensive and I read it's cheaper to book there. We are staying in a log cabin in Levi and it looks amazing. We're very excited!

CeciliaL Wed 16-Nov-16 13:47:09

We went with Thomson a couple of years ago, and it was great. I found it shockingly expensive though - once you are there, you are a captive audience and all there is to do is spend money on excursions (which are very expensive) or in the hotel restaurant! (we had half board, which was ok, but a bit meh). I would have preferred a higher hotel rating for myself, but for kids it was perfect and lots of activities. FC was amazing, my daughter is still talking about this as her fave holiday ever (along with Disneyworld, where we went last year). We stayed 4 nights, which was a bit too much, 3 sounds better. A cabin sounds good, we stayed in a hotel. Nice big room and no complaints. The staff on the flight and the captain and all the staff on arrival were all in character and wearing Santa hats/pretending to be 100 yr old elves, the captain told us when to look out the window to see Santa practicing etc. It really was a totally 100% kiddie friendly experience! Enjoy! smile

CeciliaL Wed 16-Nov-16 13:48:44

PS husky ride and reindeer safari were fab!

KnackeredOldWoman Wed 16-Nov-16 16:05:35

I've been onto the Thomson website but it's saying the dates aren't available. Does that mean the holidays haven't been released yet or have they sold out already?

AtSea1979 Wed 16-Nov-16 16:11:16

The other option is to book your own flights and hotel in Levi, saves hundred if not thousands.

NicknameUsed Wed 16-Nov-16 23:18:16

When we went on a husky sled drive there were two people per sled - one driving and one steering. I don't see how a young child would be able to manage this. Also there isn't room for more than two people per sled.

We went with Transun, but it was a northern lights trip in February rather than a Santa holiday. We had an amazing time, but it wasn't cheap.

IhatchedaSnorlax Thu 22-Dec-16 00:14:36

We've just come back from Luosto with Canterbury - couldn't recommend it more. It was amazing - truly magical experience with SANTA & the elves & everything was included in the price. We didn't pay any extra at all when there other than for drinks at dinner & souvenirs.

I honestly couldn't recommend Canterbury enough - it was brilliant.

Cally70 Thu 22-Dec-16 10:23:02

We're just back from Saariselka, having booked through Santa's Lapland. Can't recommend them highly enough. No hidden extras when you get there and the reindeer sleigh ride, husky sled ride, mini skidoo, igloo, Santa trip is all included.

JammyGeorge Thu 22-Dec-16 20:51:50

Just on way back from 5 nights in Rovaniemi, we booked it ourselves and had a fab time, did a stop over in Helsinki for Xmas markets.

My brother went the same time with thomsons and really enjoyed it but their excursions were short and rushed at times. He was also at a hotel 30km from town and at their mercy for extra activities which were very expensive, I'm sure he said a 2 hour husky trip was 140 euro each. And was talking about some elf thing on a night that was about 300 quid for 2 hours. The taxi fares into town were also ridiculously priced so we picked them up in our hire car for a day out. I did think their hotel was nice though although I only sat in the bar for a drink.

Every person I met regardless of their tour operators etc had a fantastic time we were all chatting to each other. I also think 6 & 7 is a perfect age. My ds's are just turned 4 and 6. The 4 year old was a bit young, he couldn't do the snowmobiling himself and was tired from the travelling but being on our own we could have lie ins and time things for when places were quiet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now