What to do in Cologne

(11 Posts)
5buttons Mon 07-Nov-16 18:18:45

Going to Cologne for the weekend, arriving late on Friday night and going to a concert on Saturday night but looking for ideas for things to do/ see during the day on Saturday

doradoo Mon 07-Nov-16 18:25:34

If the weather is nice, a wander up and down the Rhein, then into one of the Kölsch (local beer specific to Köln) for something to eat and drink. There is also a chocolate museum on the river just down from the main shopping area.

Shopping too is also good of that's your thing, one big long Main Street going away from the Dom (cathedral) which in itself is worth a visit.

There's a good art museum/ gallery near the cathedral too which had some good stuff in there - pop art type stuff, last time I went.

Here's a link to their tourist website which should give a few ideas too! www.koelntourismus.de/ - have fun, it's a lovely city!

SJane45S Mon 07-Nov-16 18:29:34

Would 2nd a wander down the river - it's a pretty walk and there's plenty of places to stop and have a drink/food along the way. We walked up to to zoo but the queue was stupidly long. There's a modern art park you pass a long the way though that's interesting. I liked the Chocolate Museum and the gift shop there is great!

Jecan Mon 07-Nov-16 18:38:07

I was there for a weekend earlier this year - we wanted to go to the chocolate museum but despite getting there just after it opened there was a massive queue - we estimated there were 150 people before us! Hopefully it'll be quieter in November. I agree the art gallery next to the cathedral is a good place to go. And the cathedral itself is impressive.
We took a bus tour as dd was full of cold but I wouldn't recommend that - it isn't a city that has lots of tourist attractions as it was so destroyed in WW2. Its great for shopping tho & eating & drinking. And as the others said there are long walks possible along the Rhein.

5buttons Mon 07-Nov-16 20:53:23

Thanks all for those recommendations, sounds like a lovely Saturday. Walk by the river, cathedral and chocolate museum sounds the way to go, stopping at a couple of watering holes along the way :-) Gig then early train to Amsterdam on the Sunday morning, looking forward to my weekend and thanks again for the tips :-)

Jecan Mon 07-Nov-16 21:13:25

Have fun. And the good thing it's not a big city so all those things are within walking distance

5buttons Mon 07-Nov-16 22:08:43

Thanks Jecan and you all smile

efeslight Tue 08-Nov-16 08:42:30

I live in Cologne!

Yes, walking up the river is lovely-slightly to the south of the centre is the chocolate museum, Olympic museum and across the road is the Senf/mustard Museum if you are a keen mustard fan. Not been yet myself, am saving it...
If you walk up as far as the zoo, you can get the cable car across the river, which gently glides over the Spa/therme and on a sunny day you can spot the naked people sunbathing...
Have funbrew

SorrelForbes Tue 08-Nov-16 08:47:52

A climb up the cathedral tower is worth doing.

rookiemere Thu 10-Nov-16 16:55:31

Chocolate museum is ace.
I'm not sure when you're going - might be too early if this weekend - but their Christmas market is fantastic, lots of lovely original things.

5buttons Wed 16-Nov-16 16:07:26

Thanks for all the replies, back now and had a great time, it's a lovely city. Spent a couple of hours in the cathedral and had a lovely walk up and down the river and drank some German beer. Managed to find the venue for the gig fairly easily too. Was a great trip and would like to visit again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now