Portugal. Has anyone been end of October, beginning of November??

(13 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Sun 06-Nov-16 17:57:22

Wondering whether it will be okay weather wise.

DS's half term next year spans end of oct - beginning of nov so am worried most shorthaul places will be getting cooler?

Found somewhere that looks fab. I guess if it's nippier than I want there is an indoor pool too. Just don't want to shivering all week whilst abroad. smile

CelticPromise Sun 06-Nov-16 18:09:33

Yes to the Algarve, it was glorious. Idon't know about the rest of the country.

naughtynoonoo Sun 06-Nov-16 21:31:23

Just came back from Vilamoura. Went out on the Sun 23rd, it rained. Monday, it rained. Tuesday, hot but very cloudy, as was Wednesday. Sun finally came out on Thursday. Swimming pool was too cold. Sea was very rough, a fisherman told us to be very careful as the currant was so bad. Went twice before, both times in May and weather was glorious. Would def go back to the Algarve again, but not October half term.

OnMyShoulders Sun 06-Nov-16 21:37:39

We're just back too (went 22nd-29th). We stayed in Estoi, which is quite close to Faro airport. It was very warm the whole week but the first couple of days there was intermittent rain with a crazy long thunderstorm on one of the days. The rest of the week we got sunburned. We'd go back the same time again.

9troubledwaters Sun 06-Nov-16 21:41:59

Yes just got back. Mixed - stormy & rainy half the time but 26 degrees and sunny otherwise. We got tanned & swam in the sea loads. Had a lovely time.
5 years ago we went in early Nov & it rained the whole time sad
We've been in May too but found the sea far too cold to swim in

venusinscorpio Sun 06-Nov-16 21:42:55

I've been to Cascais near Lisbon in early November. It was a nice long weekend, cooler in the evenings and breezy, but mostly warm enough to sit on the beach and swim in the sea.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 06-Nov-16 21:59:14

I live in the Algarve. I wouldn't recommend it for an October half term holiday, it can be lovely (today was) but it can also be very stormy, there were floods in Albufeira this time last year

YourHandInMyHand Mon 07-Nov-16 13:38:37

Sounds a bit of a mixed bag weather wise then!

I've decided to book it and risk it. I've found a great deal where we have our own little self contained villa, and it has an indoor pool as well as the outdoor pools so even if it's raining or chilly I guess we can still go for a swim at the indoor one.

I will pack sun cream just in case but not bank on needing it ha ha.

Thanks again for replies.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 07-Nov-16 14:07:13

It's beautiful here again today, but for some reason, the October half term week always seems to get some rain. As long as you're prepared for that you might be lucky and get blue skies every day smile

YourHandInMyHand Tue 08-Nov-16 19:30:35

Costa how warm would you say it is?

I'm really nervous !

Costacoffeeplease Tue 08-Nov-16 19:49:28

Now, it's mid 20s daytime but down to about 10-12 at night

October can be hotter day and night, although not really sitting out in the evening temps - but if it rains it will feel cold, and it's often very windy too. It really is the luck of the draw

YourHandInMyHand Wed 09-Nov-16 08:32:55

I will pack layers then. I've pretty much been left with "it's up to you" and it's been left to me to book something. Oh well, I will enjoy the break regardless of the weather. smile

Mid 20s in the day will be an improvement on the temp here regardless.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 09-Nov-16 08:51:51

Yes layers is the answer, and something waterproof - and check your accommodation has some sort of heating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now