Is Kos safe?

(11 Posts)
LavenderRains Sun 06-Nov-16 14:50:32

DS and his gf have booked a holiday to Kos but DS is having doubts.
He's worried it's very near to Turkey.
Anyone been there? We've only ever been to Spain/Canaries so I can't help him really.

IminaPickle Sun 06-Nov-16 14:54:45

It's a Mediterranean island in the EU confused there has been no terrorist activity in Greece, what is he concerned about?
Does he not have access to the internet? Can you not Google foreign office advice or look at a map?!

LavenderRains Sun 06-Nov-16 15:04:32

I do know it's in the Aegean sea not the Mediterranean pickle
Yes he has got a computer fully equipped with Google thanks.
But sometimes it's nice to ask real people of their experiences.
Last year, or maybe this year I'm not sure there were pictures of 100's of refugees camping on the beaches. I think he was wondering if this was a problem.
If you don't want to answer a thread then don't! I thought MN was all about getting help from other peoples experiences. i can get sarcasm any time I want thankswink

TheHobbitMum Sun 06-Nov-16 15:09:28

When we looked to book our Greek 2 wks away next year we purposely avoided islands on that "side". We take the inlaws away with us and they felt uneasy with the islands near to Turkey due to unrest and refugee situation. I'd of happily booked to go to Kos etc as there isn't any actual issues there at the moment. My inlaws worry was anything could happen to between now and when we go

TheHobbitMum Sun 06-Nov-16 15:10:21

I missed off that I think the Greek Islands are perfectly safe you may come across refugees/migrants but that wouldn't affect a holiday

MyLlamasGoneBananas Sun 06-Nov-16 15:11:57

We've been to Los several times and it's lovely. NO problems at all. I didn't see any refugees last summer.

LavenderRains Sun 06-Nov-16 22:47:05

Thanks everyone. I think he's a bit wary as we've never been that way, always canaries, Spain etc. It's not until next spring so ages yet. The hotel certainly looks lovely.

specialsubject Tue 08-Nov-16 09:32:54

There is a refugee camp on kos, apparently about 10k from kos town. Google 'kos refugees need your help ' for an update. Currently about 1500 people there. The English language Greek news sites will give you the latest news.

They won't cause issues for tourists, and Greece needs your custom.

LavenderRains Wed 09-Nov-16 21:17:39

Thanks special he's looking forward to it now.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 11-Nov-16 17:48:46

Yes, Kos is very safe. My parents go there every year, it's very quiet and charming where they stay. They are planning to go again next year.

That part of Turkey is very safe too, it's where we used to live so we still visit and have lots of friends living out there.

You may see refugees but they are not going to cause any problems, they are just moving though, it wont affect your holiday.

LavenderRains Fri 11-Nov-16 20:09:00

Thanks sootica that's good to know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now