Vienna - good place for a 21st birthday??

(12 Posts)
galaxygirl45 Sat 29-Oct-16 16:35:56

Our DD is 21 next month, and recently moved home after splitting up with boyfriend of 4 yrs, and she's really down. We've discussed a short city break in Europe for her birthday, and Vienna seems to be top of the list especially for the Christmas markets. Has anyone else been, anything to recommend and perhaps a restaurant to book ahead for her actual birthday?? Or alternative suggestions ? It's DD (21) DD(19) and DH and I.

HappyCamel Sat 29-Oct-16 16:46:45

Love Vienna, scenic, elegant but quite expensive. Also consider Cologne for Christmas markets and Prague for just being a lovely city. Lovely idea OP.

HappyCamel Sat 29-Oct-16 16:49:31

There's a restaurant called Plachutta. We saw the horse show, the cathedral is lovely and the bakeries are fabulous. We stayed in a fab little boutique hotel right by the cathedral.

TripAdvisor is always a good place to start.

CthulhuInDisguise Sat 29-Oct-16 16:50:38

I took DH to Vienna for his Xmas present. Recommend Da Vinci restaurant for a nice Italian meal, and The View for cocktails. We stayed in the Starlight Suites at Am Heumarkt which has just been renovated.

Agree with PP about Cologne. It's fab. And Dusseldorf - if your DD eats pork I heartily recommend Schweine Jane in the Altstadt.

Londonmamabychance Sat 29-Oct-16 16:59:10

Vienna is nice, classic and beautiful, but tbh, I think there's other coyotes that would appeal more to young people. Vienna is quite conservative and doesn't have much of an alternative scene or a young person's vibe. Great if you love opera, Mozart and Freud and Christamss markets, which some young people may, but if you'd also like to do a bit of shopping and perhaps see something a bit later alternative or arty, or go for a drink in a cool bar or cafe, there are better places. Vienna can be a bit dull, imo. Paris of course always pleases all ages, but perhaps you've already been? Berlin is also great and has something both parents and young people ( great Christmas markets too, history and loads of cool bars and cafes and shopping etc), or perhaps a bit more of the beaten track, Copenhagen, which also has Christmas markets (in Tivoli gardens), great restaurants, history and cool bars and shopping. Is more expensive than Berlin though. Can recommend places for you on all three cities of you're interested : ) oh, you could also go for Budapest, btw! So beautiful and historical and now quite funky in many ways.

Londonmamabychance Sat 29-Oct-16 17:01:26

Oh, or Barcelona! I know it's very very busy with tourists but not so much st this time of year, and let the kids out a night on their own and some Spanish dude or backpacker will soon heal her broken heart ; )

galaxygirl45 Sat 29-Oct-16 17:07:23

I did wonder about Prague but was a bit worried that it was a bit too stag nighty?? DDs love bars and cocktails, and shopping so am now worried that Vienna may be a bit staid for them..........thanks for all the suggestions, back to tripadvisor i think smile

0phelia Sat 29-Oct-16 17:10:33

Ohy God yes. You're DD is very lucky to have that option (my 21st was at a rough part of South London)

It's so civilised, safe, intriguing, beautiful. During the day she must visit the Belvedere museum/gallery. And the surrounding grounds.

Yes yes yes!

0phelia Sat 29-Oct-16 17:12:45

Shopping is great don't worry. Lots of proper designer, to mid range to stalls and markets in the centre. And cake.

The Viennese love to drink wine too, day and night. Morning even! Plenty of good wine.

CthulhuInDisguise Sat 29-Oct-16 17:14:08

And you can get a train for about €15 to Bratislava for the day from Vienna - it's about an hour away and is definitely worth a visit too.

Londonmamabychance Sat 29-Oct-16 18:05:49

But of course if you do go for Vienna in the end in sure you'll all have a fab time! Your DD is very lucky to have such caring parents and the chance to go away : )

NicknameUsed Sun 30-Oct-16 00:50:42

I took OH to Vienna for his 40th birthday. We loved it. I wouldn't waste money on the Spanish Riding School unless you especially love horses though.

We aren't horse lovers and found it rather underwhelming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now