France/Belgium WW1 museums etc for pre-teens

(7 Posts)
WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 18-Oct-16 18:29:23

We are heading to Belgium over half term via Eurotunnel and it has just occurred to me that as DS (12) is studying WW1 at the moment we ought to take the opportunity to visit some of the sites/museums. However I've never been before and neither has DH. We will also have DD (10)

Can anyone recommend any museums/historical sites etc between Calais and Bruges which would be interesting/appropriate to pre-teens?

Barbeasty Wed 19-Oct-16 08:06:27

The peace museum in Ieper (Ypres) was good last time I went, and the Menin Gate is impressive and sobering. The last post is played every evening, as it has been every day since the end of WW1 (I was told the ceremony moved to England during WW2).

There are also trenches which you can go in, and cemetries, in the general area.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 19-Oct-16 14:34:06

Thank you, I will look into those.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 19-Oct-16 14:34:27

Oh, I've just realised what I said, not the best choice of words!

LilCamper Wed 19-Oct-16 14:41:14

Make sure you visit St George church in Ypres too.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 19-Oct-16 14:49:24

Thanks, I've just been looking at the Dodengang trenches, Trip Advisor is proving quite useful. We may not make it to Ypres, we are only going for a long weekend in Bruges and already have some plans, but if this trip goes well it's somewhere I would like to go back for a more in depth visit another time.

LilCamper Wed 19-Oct-16 18:37:31

Tyne Cot Cemetery is absolutely unmissable and really puts the numbers lost into perspective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now