Athens at Easter - citybreak and sun break?

(13 Posts)
nocampinghere Tue 11-Oct-16 10:39:13

I'm looking at flights and a hotel for Athens at Easter, was thinking 4 days? Is that enough/too much to see the main ancient Greece sights?

Also tempted to add a few days sunshine/pool/beach - any suggestions? TIA!

girlywhirly Wed 12-Oct-16 16:40:44

It will not be warm anywhere in Greece at Easter, the sea will be cold and swimming pools if you can get one will be even colder. If you want to do city sightseeing it will be fine, but don't imagine that you will be sunbathing. It will be around 16-19 degrees and cooler at night unless there is an unseasonal heatwave. It may also be wet, the Med doesn't warm up until May.

nocampinghere Wed 12-Oct-16 16:47:29

thanks girlywhirly
i was beginning to wonder if i was being too optimistic with the beach bit!

strongandlong Fri 14-Oct-16 23:19:22

We went to Athens last March and it was perfect sight seeing weather, but definitely not beach weather.

4 days is plenty for the major sites.

I loved it. It was much more interesting and charming than I'd expected.

nocampinghere Sun 16-Oct-16 19:46:03

where did you stay strongandlong?
the hotel prices vary widely but the reviews are so mixed and all seem to mention "dodgy graffiti area" and not feeling very safe which i must admit is putting me off

rainbowjoy Sun 16-Oct-16 19:57:53

Went to Athens last April for 3 nights on a very reasonably priced British airways holiday. It was really hot during the day much hotter than normal 25 + although all the locals still had their coats on !
3 or 4 days is plenty of time to see all the sites. Stayed in The centre so very easy to walk around. Food was very cheap had a great time.

rainbowjoy Sun 16-Oct-16 20:03:07

Meant to say stayed in the very luxurious King George hotel in Syntagma. Buffet breakfast included. As said booked through BA flights and twin room about £300 each a bargain. Caught the bus from airport to hotel very easy.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:06:04

It won't necessarily be warm. Also check dates for Easter as Orthodox calender is different and a lot of businesses shut for religeos holidays.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:06:24

Religious

nocampinghere Mon 17-Oct-16 10:50:00

thanks! you have re-energised me !

strongandlong Tue 18-Oct-16 11:51:28

We stayed at the athenaeum intercontinental, but only because we had lots of loyalty points to use. It had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, but it's a bit of a way from anywhere you'd really want to be.

There's lots of graffiti pretty much everywhere, but the only time I felt at all unsafe was when we stumbled into a stand off between police and demonstrators one evening in Exarcheia. We just turned round and went the other way!

usedtobeboss Mon 24-Oct-16 11:58:26

We went to Athens last Easter hols (early April) and had beautiful, very warm weather. We loved it - fab city, plenty to see and all walkable. The Acropolis museum is just brilliant, and the restaurant there is well worth a visit. We stayed at the Herodian hotel, and would highly recommend it. 3 nights/4 days was just about right.

nocampinghere Mon 24-Oct-16 13:37:48

thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now