Rome with kids in July

(14 Posts)
malloo Wed 05-Oct-16 12:17:27

Has anyone done this? Not sure if it's a good idea, slight concern they might just moan about being too hot all the time and not want to see anything! If you've been I would love to hear any advice, recommendations of where to stay, what to do etc. My kids are 7 and 13.

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Wed 05-Oct-16 20:40:32

we went a couple of years back at the start of June. weather was lovely - suncream definitely required, but not so scorchio that we couldn't sightsee.

we actually stayed outside of Rome in Ostia, near the Scavi there. we were about 15 minutes from the beach, and about 35-40 from the centre of Rom by train, so we split our time equally between the city and the coast.

I think Rome's such a great place to go with children - so much to see and do, plus amazing quality pizza and wine gelato on every corner.

allegretto Wed 05-Oct-16 20:48:51

There's quite a big difference between beginning of June and end of / mid July! I would expect it to be hot and tiring in July tbh.

OrianaBanana Wed 05-Oct-16 20:49:58

I was there in June this year and it was 35 and waaay too hot. I wouldn't have liked to be there with kids but tbf another mum was at the same conference with her DH and kids staying in Rome too and her (fairly young) kids were having a good time in museums apparently.

tissuesosoft Thu 06-Oct-16 13:35:41

My DP and I came back from Rome a couple of weeks ago- it was 26 every day and that felt too hot inside some of the museums etc. The colosseum and Roman forums in particular and you can only take empty water bottles in with you, you have to fill them up inside (but could only see 2 taps to fill them up and massive queues for them). The queues to get in there were about 1-2 hours but we bought our tickets in advance from the official website so only queued 20 minutes. Really recommend the underground and third level tour- you see more of the colosseum that isn't accessible to general tickets. The same with the Vatican in regards to queues. I would say that your children may be abit bored in the Vatican if you spend all day there. Pre book! Apparently in the summer season queues can be over 3 hours for the Vatican.

Polkadotties Thu 06-Oct-16 13:43:59

I've been in July. It's hot, really hot, over 35. I love the heat but when walking round the coliseum it's too hot. It is a good excuse to eat lots of gelato though grin

NicknameUsed Thu 06-Oct-16 18:08:48

DD and I went last October half term and I would say that at 20/21 degrees the temperature was perfect for sightseeing. There is no way I would visit in July. I love hot weather, but at 35 degrees plus I prefer to be in a bikini by a pool, not queuing round a very crowded Vatican museum or tramping round the streets of Rome.

Visiting Rome involves a lot of walking - another reason not to go when it is so hot.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 06-Oct-16 18:11:38

My friend went with her family and loved it but when I saw her DD she told me she was too hot

DidgeDoolittle Thu 06-Oct-16 18:24:32

I went to Rome in July a few years ago. I swore I would never do it again. It was unbearable.
Since then I have been at the beginning of June (still very hot) and the middle of October. October was by far the best. It was still very warm but totally bearable.
Don't drag your kids round in July, you will all be miserable.

PawWavingCat Thu 06-Oct-16 22:27:56

We were there last summer during Jul/Aug with our young teens.

It really helped that our accommodation had air con, which we used continuously when we were indoors and throughout the night.

We also froze bottles of water overnight to use during the day when we were out sightseeing, and made plenty of stops for granita and ice creams.

We pre-booked our tickets for the Coliseum, which was fantastic and went on the guided tour too which took us to the uppermost level. No queuing at all (same for tickets into Pompeii, we took a day trip by train from Rome).

It was very sunny and hot but worth doing. If we go again though, we'll choose a quieter time of year.

Northernlurker Thu 06-Oct-16 22:33:06

I went in early July this year with my 18yr old for post a level treat. It was good fun for us but it was bloody hot and we saw many miserable dc. I would stay somewhere by the coast and do a day trip to a very few Rome sights.

Northernlurker Thu 06-Oct-16 22:34:34

If you do go, hotel mimosa near the pantheon is clean, very central, reasonably priced and with good air con and very helpful staff. Breakfast only and it's very nice.

Secretprincess Sun 16-Oct-16 14:56:17

I'm Italian & spent every summer just outside Rome.As others have said, it will be very hot & crowded. It's an amazing city, you should be able to walk under trees for shade a lot of the time & churches are always cool inside. A lot of people don't realise that the water fountains you see everywhere are usually drinking water, great for rehydration.

heron98 Mon 17-Oct-16 11:17:59

I went in mid September last year and it was still over 30. Loved the city but it was very hot to be walking around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now