Staying at 5 star AI - what to wear?!!

(16 Posts)
Makemineacabsauv Mon 03-Oct-16 23:23:27

Go on hols a lot but always to cheap n cheerful sc apartments. Doing 5 star AI for a week and know that shorts aren't allowed in any of the restaurants. My weight has ballooned... Will linen crops and a nice too be ok for dinner as I can't get into my 2 nice dresses and only have quite unflattering maxi dresses that I look massive in. Any ideas? Will be around 25 degrees so not roasting hot,

mouldycheesefan Tue 04-Oct-16 08:45:40

Personally I would get some new clothes that you feel good in rather than wearing things that you are not comfortable in. People tend to wear fairly simple dresses, crop trousers, tailored shorts. So yes crop trousers are fine, people don't dress up a a lot in the evening. Just what you would wear to a restaurant here. Have a lovely time.

Roystonv Tue 04-Oct-16 08:53:55

Nice crop trousers and some more dressier tops in cotton/ linen, statement necklace. Don't go sequinny, skimpy or cheap fibres and you will look quietly elegant (that's what I aim for anyway!)

Makemineacabsauv Tue 04-Oct-16 21:13:51

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear! Not got time to go shopping but the linen crops still fit and a couple of floaty tops! Was just worried it was going to be all fancy dresses! We're always dead laid back in SC apartments normally.

NicknameUsed Tue 04-Oct-16 22:32:44

We stayed in a couple of fairly upmarket hotels in recent years and took some nice clothes. I found that I was far too overdressed compared to the other hotel guests who mostly wore summer trousers and tops, with a few maxi dresses around.

SueDunome Tue 04-Oct-16 22:37:23

We stayed at a similar hotel in the summer. The long trousers dress code was strict, but only for men; women could wear shorts if they wished.

Makemineacabsauv Tue 04-Oct-16 23:04:04

Ah the ever forgiving maxi dress!! No matter how much I balloon my maxi dresses seem to balloon with me!!! Probably very unfashionable now (as mine are so old) and I do feel like I'm wearing a nightie but they might need to come along too! Thanks for all the reassurance! At least as it's meant to be in high 20s I should be ok wearing a costume and not inflict the summer bikini clad bod on everyone like I do in 40 degree heat!

Kr1stina Tue 04-Oct-16 23:09:29

If it's in the 20s with a wind you will need a wetsuit in the pool, not a swimming costume !

gettingtherequickly Tue 04-Oct-16 23:19:51

AI won't be fancy, you'll be fine in cropped trousers. Have a wonderful holiday.

Makemineacabsauv Tue 04-Oct-16 23:30:30

We live in Scotland - high 20s is swimming costume weather to us!! Got cardigans etc just in case! Thank you, I'm sure we'll manage to enjoy ourselves!

NicknameUsed Tue 04-Oct-16 23:37:49

High 20s is bikini weather to me as well.

Kr1stina Wed 05-Oct-16 08:34:36

Ah you are all hardcore ! Have a fab time smile

FairyAnn Thu 06-Oct-16 11:40:22

Enjoy your holiday OP! Also, wrap-around dresses are a godsend if you're a bit self-conscious. They give you a waist and can hide other areas well. Plus, they look classy smile

www.johnlewis.com/closet-crossover-dress-blue/p2847128

Makemineacabsauv Thu 06-Oct-16 23:01:27

Thanks everyone! Managed to pop into M&co and for a few new bits to add to wardrobe. Can't make it into JL before hols but do like the look of that! Cropped linen trousers with elasticated waistbands plus all you can and drink , think I'll be fine!!!! smilesmilewinecake

Kr1stina Thu 06-Oct-16 23:54:59

M and Co will be perfect , they have some lovely colours. Anyway you don't want to spend a lot on holiday things that you only wear a few weeks a year.

I forgot to say earlier , unless you are used to heels , don't bother taking them on holiday . Sparkly or metallic flat / low wedge sandals will be fine.

Defo elastic waistbands, flying and the heat can make you swell up a bit . I always find my bra strap a bit tight on holiday ( that's befroe I've tucked into the food and drink )

I'm just back from Greece and I needed a cardigan and large scarf and thermal underwear in the evening when it was windy . But then I wore a wetsuit in the sea so maybe you will be fine grin

Makemineacabsauv Fri 07-Oct-16 21:27:08

Thanks! We go to Greece a lot but never AI, we always just go sc and stay in cheap as chips Greek places! Was just concerned about looking like an old tatie bag if everyone else was swanning around all glam! Haha!!
Yep, I always swell up in the heat, usually take the blankets out the wardrobe and fold them up under the bottom of my mattress and the swelling on my feet goes. Swelling of the waist however isn't that quickly or easily fixed!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now