Crete - self catering on a budget

(5 Posts)
InformalMother Tue 20-Sep-16 08:13:37

Hi,

Does anyone know how much food is in Crete compared to here?

I'm trying to work out if we can afford a holiday there next year.

We have 3 kids so that always pushes the price up on accommodation and car hire (need a car big enough to fit the 3 in the back other boosters!).

We can only maybe afford to go if we self cater the whole time and never eat out.

If anyone has any links to cheap accomodation with a pool when flying into Chania, please link!

Thanks

mummymeister Tue 20-Sep-16 13:56:23

we found crete to be more expensive than we had expected to be honest. 5-7 euros for a fairly ordinary pizza and food shopping was only very slightly cheaper than the uk. we did hire a very cheap car and happy to send you details if you message me. it was a much more expensive holiday than we had expected it to be. check out crete on tripadvisor for things like the cost of the water parks. that might help with your decision making.

InformalMother Tue 20-Sep-16 16:14:20

Thanks MM.

I'll pm you.

OnyK Tue 20-Sep-16 19:34:59

If you have a car and can get to a big supermarket, the food is much cheaper than in small resorts. We stayed in Ekavi apartments in Ag Marina...cheap and basic, but clean and with a nice pool.
We found eating out was very reasonable compared to the UK and portions were much bigger.
Flights are quite cheap atm with Ryanair.

InformalMother Tue 20-Sep-16 20:08:50

Thank OnyK.

I'll have a look at those apartments. We don't mind cheap and basic as long as it's clean with a nice pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now