Sardinia or Menorca for half term?

(5 Posts)
longestlurkerever Sat 17-Sep-16 22:51:02

Have seen reasonable flights for both and tossing up between the two. We will look for an airbnb type place somewhere and would hope to do a bit of beach (sandcastle building etc. Maybe a bit of swimming. We have hardy Northern blood), lunches out and the odd bit of sightseeing. Dds are 1 and 5. Any thoughts?

NicknameUsed Sun 18-Sep-16 17:03:01

According to the holiday weather websites Menorca is slightly warmer in October than Sardinia. With an average temperature of 20 degrees that wouldn't be pool or swimming weather for me. Also, it rains a lot more in October. If you want a chance of better weather I would be looking at the Canaries.

budgiegirl Mon 19-Sep-16 07:49:24

I've been to Menorca in October many times, it can be lovely (swimming, beach weather - just) or it can be colder with cloud and wind. It's pot luck at that time of year, especially if you are just going for a week.

I'd second the advise from the PP and consider the Canaries, although the flights at half term are more expensive than for Menorca.

Sirzy Mon 19-Sep-16 07:50:45

Be careful with menorca, I love it but it is very seasonal with a lot of resorts shutting down from September onwards.

Rumtopf Mon 19-Sep-16 08:00:48

Sardinia can be quiet then too, depends where you go - north coast is more touristy so more I'd likely to be open until the end of October. The south (where we tend to go) is quieter, things are still open for the locals but not as much. You probably won't have dancing and music in the piazza's in the evening for instance. We've had temperatures around 25C at the end of October, the locals look at you like you're mad in shorts and t-shirts though as they're all in jeans and jumpers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now