Amalfi Coast October hols - anyone been or going?

(15 Posts)
WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 17-Sep-16 20:08:14

We're toying with the idea of an Amalfi coast break in the October holidays (not until next year but posting now in case anyone is planning the same this year).

Thinking of October in case it's unbearably hot in the summer. How warm will it be? Warm enough for pool? Any recommendations for places to stay/use as base/visit? Travelling with one 9 year old DC. So far we only know that we really want to visit Pompeii.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

NicknameUsed Sat 17-Sep-16 22:44:27

I wouldn't bank on pool weather at the end of October. Maximum temperatures are about 21 degrees.

DD and I were in Rome last October half term, and we had 21/22 degrees but mostly cloud. I wore trousers and T-shirts. There is no way I would have wanted to swim in an outdoor pool.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sun 18-Sep-16 08:31:20

Thanks nicknameused, that's useful.

I live in Scotland, so 20/21 always sounds warm to me, so good to hear about the actual reality! It's entirely possible we might go in early July instead.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sun 18-Sep-16 08:31:52

Oh, it'd be middle of October for us.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sun 18-Sep-16 16:43:46

Bump - weather in October aside, any other top tips on visiting the amalfi coast?

NicknameUsed Sun 18-Sep-16 16:59:33

Pompeii is a must. Herculaneum is smaller and more complete. We didn't go because it was so hot, and now I regret missing it out.

We didn't bother with Naples at all, having heard a lot of negative stuff about it. If you want to do any boat trips go down to the harbour and buy tickets from the tickets office. It is much much cheaper. We did a trip from Sorrento to Amalfi. We didn't bother with Capri as a few people in our hotel had been and hadn't been impressed.

insancerre Sun 18-Sep-16 17:02:39

I'm joining your thread because I've decided I want to go to the Amalfi coast for my big birthday next year
I've never been to Italy before but I've always wanted to go
It looks so beautiful

NicknameUsed Sun 18-Sep-16 17:04:36

TBH I found Sorrento a little underwhelming. We had been to Lake Garda the year before and IMO it is much, much more beautiful (and not so full of traffic).

I read that in Oct things slow down in that there are less restaurants and shops open. This may not bother you but if you are staying in a small village rather than one of the bigger towns not having a local shop or restaurant will mean driving.

There is basically one road (think a big loop) lower half of loop down by the sea, upper part of loop high on the coast.

Where we stayed it took us 30 mins to get to the sea level road that's without afternoon traffic.

We went this August, so much busier than October would be. We got up and out by 8.30am/9am or it wasn't worth going.

We did Amalfi, Ravello, Positano and Pompeii. Had a week but needed pool days to unwind. I adored Ravello but you need to leave the main square and walk up and around it all to be rewarded with views over to Minori.

Its a wonderful coastline but I did not enjoy the roads. We stayed in a house built into the cliff (there was a huge rock in the kitchen ceiling lol) it was split into 4 apartments. Breathtaking views from our balcony.

JinkxMonsoon Sun 18-Sep-16 17:45:22

We honeymooned in Amalfi and it was beautiful. We did Pompeii, Vesuvius, Ravello and Capri. We went at this time of year and the weather was great, although the night before we arrived there were heavy rains and landslides which killed people in the next town along (Atrani, I think). The mountain roads are something else, but the coach drivers seem to know what they're doing!

This is the view from my balcony. Hubby wanted impressive views from whatever apartment we rented ... nailed that.

JacquettaWoodville Sun 18-Sep-16 17:51:46

Positano and Ravello are lovely. Many Italian resorts close their pools out of season so you may not find an open one in October - do double check.

wishiwasacollie Sun 18-Sep-16 17:55:46

We going in october this year. Staying in sorrento. Honeymooned in amalphi 17years ago so cant wait to go back but this time also with DD 12. Will report back.

purpleshortcake Sun 18-Sep-16 18:02:47

I agree that Sorrento is a bit touristy ... lots of cheap shops. Positano is beautiful. I loved doing a boat ride sling the coast, really breathtaking. I would not want to drive on those roads myself! Enjoy!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 19-Sep-16 22:30:14

Thanks everyone. Some great suggestions to look into. We're now swinging back to the idea of going in summer! Taken with the idea of staying in positano or somewhere rather than sorrento. Any suggestions for hotels etc.? Or if we did a week there, somewhere to go onto for 3 or 4 days for a change of scene(but accessible to Naples for airport)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now