Last minute family hol for October half term

(20 Posts)
CodeBreaker16 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:16:35

Has anyone got any tips on finding good deals? We need a holiday! Unfortunately restricted to half term as I'm a teacher. It would be for myself, DH and 3 yr old. Fancy Malta for no particular reason but everything's looking expensive. Is everything going to be expensive at half term? Where's best to look for cheapish holidays? Not much experience booking hols and it's all a bit overwhelming/time consuming! What websites do people use? Thanks

gallicgirl Sat 17-Sep-16 12:18:06

Has it got to be a warm beach holiday?
Centerparcs in France and Belgium have some good deals.

gallicgirl Sat 17-Sep-16 12:20:03

www.sunparks.com/gb-en/lastminute_sck

Holiday in Belgium.

CodeBreaker16 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:36:23

We would quite like warmth and beaches yes, thanks tho

CodeBreaker16 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:37:20

Will defo take a look at that though, not ruling anything out

gallicgirl Sat 17-Sep-16 14:14:08

Don't blame you! I'd quite like a warm holiday in October too.

Would you try Turkey? I've never been and wouldn't, but apparently there are some good deals because it's not popular with UK tourists this year. It's far enough south that it'll be warm in October.

CodeBreaker16 Sat 17-Sep-16 14:31:12

No I wouldn't go for Turkey at the moment either

MeganChips Sat 17-Sep-16 14:35:27

The canaries are a good bet for October sun.

We went to Lanzarote a few years ago and it was still in the high twenties.

NicknameUsed Sat 17-Sep-16 22:46:38

"Is everything going to be expensive at half term?"

Yes, it always is more expensive during school holidays. Supply and demand etc.

2014newme Sun 18-Sep-16 17:59:34

Malta doesn't have beaches

AnyFucker Sun 18-Sep-16 18:06:03

You might be lucky with Greece weather wise. It is a bit of a risk though. We went Oct half term once and the first couple of days were warmish (but no real power to the sun IYSWIM) and then the weather completely broke down to wind and rain for the rest of the week

Canaries might be your best bet. Thomson late deals (you go within 4 weeks) have some decent family hols.

juneau Sun 18-Sep-16 18:08:16

Yep, I would look for a package at this point as flights will be really expensive if you book independently. What about popping into a travel agent and seeing what they've got? Malta will still be warm in Oct, also Canaries, Cyprus, possibly Crete?

CodeBreaker16 Sun 18-Sep-16 18:31:55

Um Malta doesn't have beaches?? confused I'm pretty sure it does

CodeBreaker16 Sun 18-Sep-16 18:34:19

Thank you anyfucker, was wondering about late deals but wasn't sure how it worked and how late you booked - perhaps we could really book something at the last minute in that case. Never booked a package holiday before. Always did flights and then hostels etc in our carefree days before DS turned up smile

AnyFucker Sun 18-Sep-16 18:42:54

I think in this particular scenario a late package is the way to go

NicknameUsed Sun 18-Sep-16 19:22:32

I wouldn't bank on a beach holiday in the Med in October. The weather is more unreliable and it isn't that warm.

Sunnydaysrock Sun 18-Sep-16 19:24:10

We're going to Cyprus, should still be nice and warm.

Makemineacabsauv Sun 18-Sep-16 19:53:22

We're going to Rhodes as our half term is at the start of Oct and should still be warm. If not then we'll still have a chill out! Where do you live? If you live in Northern England it may be worthwhile driving to a Scottish airport to take advantage of term time prices. That's why many Scots drive to Manchester. Or a slightly further away airport's surrounding area might have different holidays

CodeBreaker16 Sun 18-Sep-16 20:06:58

Whoa hadn't even thought of driving to Scotland and flying from there. That may be genius. Will look into it...

Thanks everyone for suggestions

CodeBreaker16 Sun 18-Sep-16 20:08:21

To be honest it doesn't have to be hot, we're not sun bathers anyway, just need a holiday and sun would be a bonus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now