I know this place must exist I just can't find it. anyone fancy helping me search? ☺

(52 Posts)
sacbina Tue 13-Sep-16 14:10:33

For next summer school holidays. Not fussy on dates but need

-2 bed accommodation, DH won't sleep on a sofa bed in a lounge
-flying from Heathrow, 2-3 hr flight max
-must have a view of something not just rooftops! Preferably the sea ☺
-next to a sandy beach with warm sea (rules out portugal)
-on west coast of somewhere, I need sunsets

I've been looking at Balearics but am now so befuddled I can't think straight. Have started to look around Italian, german, Austria lakes

My brains all fuzzy!

Humphriescushion Tue 13-Sep-16 14:17:03

I am just back from Lafranc on the costa brava. Nice apartment, three beds, view of sea, on beach and sea lovely and warm and great for snorkelling. And very reasonable. Fly to girona or barcelona. No sunset from our apartment.

MaybeDoctor Tue 13-Sep-16 14:18:50

Well, Portugal would fit the bill.
Have you looked at Salgados resort/beach?

MephistoMarley Tue 13-Sep-16 14:20:11

Agadir area of Morocco. Stunning beaches, bargainous accommodation, great food.

bettybyebye Tue 13-Sep-16 14:23:14

Menorca, absolutely stunning island. We were there last week and the sea was lovely and warm. We were in Cala'n Bosch which is south west of the island, gorgeous harbour and lovely beaches. But there's beautiful resorts all over the island

tkband3 Tue 13-Sep-16 14:23:35

I would try Majorca...

Soller is on the North West coast and is lovely - beautiful town a little way inland and the port has loads of hotels and apartment blocks right on the seafront.

Puerto Pollensa/Alcudia/Muro - all with hotels and apartment blocks on the seafront and lovely beaches.

If you can stretch to your own house rather than an apartment, there are some amazing places inland from Pollensa with beautiful views of the mountains and countryside. Or close to Soller, you could head up towards Deia or Fornalutx.

sacbina Tue 13-Sep-16 14:23:51

Need sunsets and need warm sea. Last holiday in Algarve had all sorts of expletives coming out of DH mouth! !

sacbina Tue 13-Sep-16 14:26:47

Morocco flights just a bit too long for D'S :-(

sacbina Tue 13-Sep-16 14:40:58

Had P d Soller on the list but mixed reviews on the beach itself.
Menorca on list too - still looking for the one!
Alcudia etc on east coast. Has to be West!

hooliodancer Tue 13-Sep-16 14:46:18

Look at Corfu. If you must have sunsets then north west also has some sandy beaches. You can fly ba from Heathrow.

botanically Tue 13-Sep-16 14:46:31

Call Galdana, Menorca!

botanically Tue 13-Sep-16 14:46:53

*Cala Galdana

Hoppinggreen Tue 13-Sep-16 14:48:55

Costa de la Luz in Andalucia. Sea was like a warm bath this August

imsorryiasked Tue 13-Sep-16 14:51:24

Nidri on Lefkada - we stayed here Saphos Apartments (2 bed)

botanically Tue 13-Sep-16 14:51:59

Cala Galdana is also a walkable distance from the gorgeous undeveloped beaches of Cala Macarella and Cala Macarelleta.

sacbina Tue 13-Sep-16 14:57:00

Thank you all. School run will check all these out later.
Keep them coming though x

OpposableThumbs2 Tue 13-Sep-16 17:40:19

Humphrie when were you in Llafranc? We were there for the last two weeks of the summer holidays.

You can see a fabulous sunset by going up the the lighthouse on the headland. Or the next bay along, Tamariu, is lovely too and faces west.

Here is DD1 watching the sunset.

Humphriescushion Tue 13-Sep-16 21:00:07

Hi Opposable! We were there from the 2nd sept, so just after you i would have thought. It is our third or maybe fourth time there ( we get stuck in our ways! And is cheap!) we had an appartment on the square just over the pizza restaurant. Had a fab time.

KatieScarlett Tue 13-Sep-16 21:01:31

Another vote for Menorca.

BeJayKayven Tue 13-Sep-16 21:11:06

Caorle on the Adriatic coast. Perfect friendly Italian town, gorgeous beach, loads of family hotels that do adjoining rooms or two bedroom suites.
One hour from Trieste or Venice. Can't wait to go again.

BeJayKayven Tue 13-Sep-16 21:13:54

Caorle sunset

Makemineacabsauv Tue 13-Sep-16 21:17:36

Caorle is beautiful as is Corfu. What's your budget? That will help people recommend specific places.

sacbina Tue 13-Sep-16 21:24:00

That looks beautiful 💜
Budget around 4k for two weeks.
We have to get flights from Heathrow, for many too boring to mention reasons, which will be about 1k
So 3k for 2 weeks should be doable! Except dh will not entertain the notion of a package deal, or AI, or large resorts, or many other niggly dh criteria 😕

Paddingtonthebear Tue 13-Sep-16 21:27:30

Barcelo hotels have two bedroomed suites. We had the best positioned room, top floor, two bedrooms, corner room with three balconies looking out to sea at the Barcelo in Punta Prima, Menorca

noramum Tue 13-Sep-16 22:30:59

Germany - where did you look? If you rule out Portugal when the North Sea or Baltic Sea may also be not much for you, even colder. I never have been to the Bavarian lakes but the area is not your typical Mediterranean resorts.

We just came back from 2 weeks Costa de la Luz. The Atlantic was warm to swim, no problem at all. We had around 27-32 degrees. The beach around Chiclana is great, a very Spanish resort area but also lots of AI resorts. The beach is lovely and clean.

Majorca is great but I didn't like the beach at Port de Soller, it feels more like a shallow cove. I know you want a sunset but Pollensa or Alcudia are really great areas, the beach in Alcudia is - in my view - nicer than in Pollensa.

Have you thought about Greek Islands? Rhodes? Korfu? Crete (wasn't impressed with beaches though). France?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now