Tell me about going on holiday to Denmark

(13 Posts)
KipperTheFish Mon 12-Sep-16 11:08:53

We are thinking about going to Denmark next summer. We thought we'd go to legoland, but actually no real other reason, although I do like herrings! Can anyone give me any advice as to where to go, good places to find accommodation etc?

KipperTheFish Mon 12-Sep-16 19:38:04

Anyone?

Newtoday Mon 12-Sep-16 19:40:37

I'd love to go! The Little Book of Hygge (just published) has great recommend recommendations for Copenhagen!

KipperTheFish Mon 12-Sep-16 19:45:42

Great I'll look that up, thank you!

vjg13 Mon 12-Sep-16 19:57:39

Went for nearly 3 weeks this Summer. Stayed in Copenhagen, North Zealand, West coast of Jutland, Arrhus and Funen.

We booked the house in Jutland from the Novasol website and stayed in hotels at the other places.

mumdebump Mon 12-Sep-16 20:06:13

We had a brilliant holiday in Denmark last year. Flew into Copenhagen, stayed there for a couple of days then hired a car and an apartment in the middle of Denmark near Middelfart and based ourselves there for a week before returning to Copenhagen. I love Lego but hate theme parks and thought Legoland was disappointingly shit - hideously expensive & a massive queue just to get through the gates took almost an hour so that wasn't a good start. VisitDenmark.co.uk is a good website to start your research. Egeskov castle on Funen was a good day out, also the Viking ships & museum at Roskilde on Zealand. The toll bridge between Funen and Zealand is pricey so you don't want to be travelling across it too much. I would love to go back.

MelanieWiggles Mon 12-Sep-16 20:10:17

Went to legoland and Copenhagen last year in October and loved it so much we are going back again. There is a centre parcs type place beside legoland called Lalandia which is great. If you're going next summer I understand the kids in Denmark go back to school in mid August so if you go after that it should be less crowded.

GoodStuffAnnie Mon 12-Sep-16 20:11:44

We went this summer. Actually combined with Sweden. We stayed in a campsite right next to legaland. Called lalandia. It was brill. Some of the best accommodation I have ever stayed in. Massive indoor pool and loads of other stuff. Soft play, golf, ice rink etc.

Billund airport is right next to both.

Copenhagen is just super. So much to do. You'll have a great time.

mumdebump Mon 12-Sep-16 20:33:04

We went late August so the Danes were back at school but it was just as full of other Europeans and they only had half the ticket windows open at Legoland.

vjg13 Mon 12-Sep-16 22:10:02

We also weren't keen on Legoland, expensive and busy. Loved Tivoli though. Also stayed in Middlefart to break the journey back to Copenhagen.

Acopyofacopy Mon 12-Sep-16 22:16:22

We went to legoland a couple of years ago when everybody had already gone back to school. No queues at all, it was brilliant. But we also shared one adult meal for lunch (2 adults, 2 kids), it was so eyewateringly expensive.
Amazing beaches, great food, zillions of cottages to choose from, nice food. I'd go again in a flash.

mumdebump Mon 12-Sep-16 22:47:43

Tivoli not my cup of tea either. Went years ago, didn't bother with it again.
What kind of things are you looking for on holiday OP?

KipperTheFish Mon 12-Sep-16 23:53:57

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to look at. Don't know Denmark at all, so really helpful to have ideas. I went as a young child and have really happy, if vague, memories, but don't really know where we went.

Mumdebump - was hoping for a chilled out fortnight, and keen to explore a country we don't know, a bit of an adventure - but a low key one! Preferably a week near quiet beaches in a cottage, a few days in Copenhagen or exploring somewhere, and I accept we'll do a day in Legoland. But I don't really know enough to know where to start looking. Children are 2-8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now