Anyone been to southern Tenerife end of March?

(10 Posts)
Anothernamechanger1 Thu 08-Sep-16 14:35:28

Thinking of going next year. It will be in the south to where my parents go each year in Decembers. Online reckons temp is early 20's maximum. Would you say this was correct if you went end of March? Also is the sea likely to be freezing?!

Tia

Justtrying Thu 08-Sep-16 14:40:20

Have been end of January, going next year at the end of march. Expecting temperatures around 25-27 in the day and needing a cardi in the evening. The sea is always cool as its the Atlantic.

Returned home last weekend and it has been very hot this august 32-35 degrees everyday and not cooling down until after 8 at night.

Anothernamechanger1 Thu 08-Sep-16 14:43:22

25-27 in the day? Wow I thought I was being optimistic! We went to Majorca once at Easter and was pleasant, shorts and tshirt but pool and sea was so so cold it hurt and the kids didn't get to swim in the sea as it was so cold, I appreciate totally that it is a different sea! I'm really hoping they will get to swim in the sea, they will be few years older also which will help but the eldest has ASD and sensory issues so I hope he will be able to experience that!

I couldn't cope with the summer heat and that is the only week we are able to go so fingers crossed!

bookbook Thu 08-Sep-16 14:50:48

we usually go first 3 weeks in Feb, and its usually 23-25º . It can be windy along the southern coast, so can seem a bit cooler. But I don't go in the sea smile

Muddle2000 Thu 08-Sep-16 14:54:48

Been there loads of times March will be fine
Sea temp c 20C
If you are into swimming you could choose accommodation
with a heated pool?
Lucky you!

Anothernamechanger1 Thu 08-Sep-16 15:50:21

Yes where we are hoping to go the pools are heated. Just wish kids could swim in the sea, they want to snorkel! Is 20 degrees too cold for paddling?

BarbaraofSeville Fri 09-Sep-16 09:34:48

If you think the sea might be a bit cold, can you get them some cheap shortie wetsuits from somewhere like decathlon - that will help loads and then they will be able to snorkel.

20 C is a bit borderline, depends on how hardy you are.

Weather is a bit pot luck. We've had stormy for half the week and fine the rest of the week in the first week in April in Los Cristianos and we've also have much better weather than that in the first week in January, so you'll have to wait and see.

budgiegirl Fri 09-Sep-16 12:55:33

We went in March a few years ago, the weather was pleasant, early 20s every day, but not what I would call hot. We did go on the beach, the kids went in the sea, but the water was too cold for me (but I am a woose!). If you are staying somewhere with a pool, check if it's heated, ours wasn't, and it was freezing.

CeciliaL Wed 16-Nov-16 17:12:29

We went in March last year, weather very pleasant, but a bit windy - if you're in the wind it could feel a little cold in a bikini! Not especially hot, just nice (but windy!). Sea was very cold, even for children, I did NOT go in! Pools were too cold for me, but DD spent a lot of time in the heated one (be aware that 'heated' is a euphemism that just means 'not freezing'! :D ). Evenings you'd want a cardigan and a light coat. I'd go again, for sure.

LeonardCohensBackingSinger Wed 16-Nov-16 19:30:10

The sea is too cold for me in August, it's the Atlantic and never gets warm like the Med.
Agree you need a heated pool, not just ice chipped off "acclimatised".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now