CharleyDavidson Tue 30-Aug-16 15:34:37

Me and 2 DDs (12 and 16).
Would love
View of the bay
Swimming pool
Shuttle bus to the town centre
Room for all 3 of us in 1 room
Handy for visiting Pompeii etc.

Is July or Aug better? Would prefer to go in Oct but the half term next year falls too late for Pompeii etc to still be open and I'm limited to school holidays.

Def prefer a package as it makes things a lot easier for me taking them away on my own.
Flying from Manchester.

LIZS Tue 30-Aug-16 15:38:59

Thought Pompeii itself is open all year, the issue is a more limited choice of hotel and resort may be less active. It is very hot midsummer so don't think July/August differ much. We stayed at the Bristol many moons ago, slightly uphill but bus stops outside.

Notthisnotthat Tue 30-Aug-16 15:41:44

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Aminta - I think we booked it through Thomsons, its up the hill on the way out of Sorrento and has fantastic views. We walked down into the town through the Olive groves, but there is a bus stop right outside and a free bus back up the hill and night times.

We took the train to Pompeii, really cheap and quick. We went in early July and the weather was fantastic although we witnessed amazing thunderstorms at night for 2 nights.

CharleyDavidson Tue 30-Aug-16 15:51:49

A look on the site for pompeii says that it (and Herculanium) shut at the end of Oct.

I've seen the Aminta hotel on the Thomson site, it's a consideration.

EggInABap Tue 30-Aug-16 16:09:00

Hotel Meditteraneo, right on the edge of a cliff and amazing views. Lovely pool and shuttle bus from right outside the hotel takes you to the centre and runs every 10 minutes.

LIZS Tue 30-Aug-16 16:52:15

Think it is just shorter opening hours in winter
^1st April – 31st October: daily from 8.30 am to 7.30 pm (admission closes at 6 pm)
Closing day: 1st May
1st November – 31st March: daily from 8.30 am to 5 pm (admission closes at 3.30 pm)
Closing days: 25 December and 1st January^

CharleyDavidson Tue 30-Aug-16 17:15:04

Oh, excellent news. I was hoping to avoid the worst of the heat so will aim for the half term if and when dates become available.
Thanks. I must have read the info wrong when I first searched.

No1HolidayPlanner Tue 30-Aug-16 19:22:57

Weather will be hit and miss late October.. We went last week Sept and first week of October and weather disappointing.. Quite wet and pools so cold.. Go in August.. Day trip to Capri by ferry is great.. We also went to Ischia which is known for its thermal baths.. Enjoysmile

Madbengalmum Tue 30-Aug-16 19:52:32

It is very hot july/aug. Best time to go is in may/june, but not sure if that would work for you school holiday wise. Much less busy too.

Pinkpeanut27 Tue 30-Aug-16 20:06:07

We went many years ago in July and found Pompeii very hot . I'm holding off taking my kids as 2 don't do well in the heat . Saying that it was one of my fav holidays ever

CharleyDavidson Wed 31-Aug-16 18:13:19

Thanks for the replies.
Fear I'm going to have to shelve it for another year as although I'd prefer to go later in the year (and don't mind the more hit and miss weather compared to baking) I'm struggling to find any companies that show any flights going in the last week in Oct next year, which is when half term is.

Me and mine don't really do too well in the very hot weather, so July and Aug is prob out. And we always have our family UK holiday (that DH does come on) in May to make the most of the nice UK weather that we usually get then as well as the slightly lower cost compared to the Summer for the same accomodation.

Can't go in April anywhere as DD1 is going to be in GCSE revision mode then.

So it's prob plan B. Either find somewhere else nice and warm and different to go to in July (avoiding Aug because of GCSE results) or return to Disneyland Paris which they/we did enjoy and I promised them a return visit to as some things were closed when we last went. But pay extra for one of the hotels with a pool!

Underparmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 12:48:27

End of Oct can be very disappointing weather and lots of things (shops, bars etc )will be closed in places like Capri.

Pompeii is open AYR and is super easy on the cirucmvesuviano train from Sorrento.

Couldn't you all go to Italy in May and then you and the dds do the UK holiday in the summer..?

CharleyDavidson Thu 01-Sep-16 21:30:46

Next year, no, as we've already paid our deposit for May. But the following year is a possibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now