where to start with Greece, its overwhelming trying to look for a holiday there.

(26 Posts)
ihatethecold Wed 24-Aug-16 11:05:14

I get so confused when i start looking for Greek holidays.

We are a family of 4 with 2 teens.

Id really like to go to Greece next summer.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

The kids love swimming and snorkeling.

We want a sandy beach and a resort that isn't tacky.

Id also like to be able to walk somewhere to eat.

I do have a good budget so id rather get something lovely than scrimp.

We will also need separate rooms for the kids, They can share but not with us!

MsGee Wed 24-Aug-16 11:12:05

I always use Agni travel and hire a villa - Skala beach in Kefalonia might be worth looking at?

I generally start with identifying the islands I can easily get to from local airports - can you narrow it down that way?

EssentialHummus Wed 24-Aug-16 11:25:41

High recommend Chania in Crete.

Great beaches
EasyJ and RyanAir (along with others) fly there
Accommodation at all price points
Genuinely friendly, warm locals
Enough cultural stuff to do if you want, and a great old town to explore
Fab food and restaurants

EssentialHummus Wed 24-Aug-16 11:25:54

Excuse typos!

DrLockhart Wed 24-Aug-16 11:26:30

Kefalonia - beautiful beaches and food

Mainland (Parga) - as above, food amazing and very cultured with plenty to do for teens

We loved Parga - plenty of beautiful hotels / apartments and they just got it right.

ihatethecold Wed 24-Aug-16 11:31:18

Parga looks lovely but the flights when we looked for this past summer were so expensive.

We are near Stansted but can fly from any SE airport

ihatethecold Wed 24-Aug-16 11:32:18

would kefalonia and Chania be rammed in the summer or is that a stupid question?

frangipani13 Wed 24-Aug-16 11:37:49

Perissa in Santorini would be fantastic . Lovely sandy beaches with lots of bars and restaurants and near enough to travel to Oia or Fira and see the amazing caldera views and sunsets. We did a package and stayed in v basic accomodation but there are lots of lovely hotels and villas.

ihatethecold Wed 24-Aug-16 11:39:28

I always imagine Santorini to be full of cruising holiday makers.

EssentialHummus Wed 24-Aug-16 11:48:57

I wouldn't do Chania in August as it'll be uncomfortably hot and busy - most of the locals f off elsewhere.

Somewhere a bit quieter in Crete won't be so busy - the South West coast, for example.

MsGee Wed 24-Aug-16 11:50:29

We have just come back from Corfu and some of the beaches were very busy, but we found that restaurants etc. ok.

Ryanair and Thomson fly from Stansted to Kefalonia. Skala will be busy but it is a big beach and loads of restaurants etc. They have a lot of hotels and villas in Skala, all in walking distance of beach and nightlife. Its not wholly traditional Greece, but certainly not a party town, so right mix for teens.

OnyK Wed 24-Aug-16 19:17:04

I would also recommend Corfu or Crete for a 1st trip to Greece, lots of resorts/accommodation to chose from depending on budget and preferences.
Chania is a large region in Crete as well as a city.

AnyFucker Wed 24-Aug-16 19:21:12

Tsilivi in Zante is a good choice with teens. Only 15 mins from the airport and lots of choice for flights/accomodation.

A good beach with water sports. Plenty going on but not too in your face.

ihatethecold Wed 24-Aug-16 19:57:40

Thanks everyone. Some lovely recommendations to investigate

justaweeone Thu 25-Aug-16 13:16:39

Some great suggestions
Skiathos is lovely as well

Makemineacabsauv Sat 27-Aug-16 23:46:23

Agree with Skiathis - any resort! Or Corfu, perhaps Roda as its a lovely resort with a sandy beach.

RunnyRattata Sat 27-Aug-16 23:52:41

Chania is lovely. Freelance Holidays do fab villas. We didn't find last August too hot and the snorkeling was good. The other side of Crete gets very windy though at that time of year so you're better off on the Chania side. I'd go there again if I could. Loved it.

Iflyaway Sat 27-Aug-16 23:54:29

Oh yea! Crete, especially if you can drive, rent a car and off you go.

Chania is great for arriving and hanging out for a day or two.

There is so much to see and you can even get a day's trip to Santorini, which is amazing too.

Been going to both for years and going again soon

Anywhere in Greece is wonderful actually.... and fuck they need our tourist presence ....

SealSong Sun 28-Aug-16 12:10:48

So excited to hear the endorsements for Crete, because I'm off there in two weeks, to a villa near Chania smile

ihatethecold Sun 28-Aug-16 12:24:53

Come back and tell us about it Sealsong!

SealSong Sun 28-Aug-16 17:59:46

Will do smile

Northernlight22 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:04:13

We got married in santorini - love it. We preferred Kamari to perissa but if it's a sandy beach you want, perissa is the one to go for. The cruises tend to go into the main town in Fira not the beach resorts so you can avoid them!

Skala in Kefalonia gets second vote from me - we loved it there when we went a few years ago and will definitely go back.

Also loves skiathos, we stayed in megali Amos but that was about 15 years ago now so might have changed!

Wasn't a fan of Corfu but we did stay in sidari which was a bit too tacky for us.

midsomermurderess Tue 30-Aug-16 21:30:19

The Peloponnese is fabulous. Take a cheap flight into Athens then hire a car. Mythic sites galore and lovely beaches.

Makemineacabsauv Tue 30-Aug-16 21:54:29

Give the kids a project! See where they come up with and compare to yours. My teens prefer swimming on Corfu than the parts of Crete and Kos they've been too as the sea is calmer/ beach sandier. They liked Stalis in the evening (Crete) but beach has hidden rocks and big waves at times. They also liked safety and independence of Roda on Corfu. Liked Subway and McDonald's 'restaurants' in resorts like Malia, Faliraki, Kardamena, Sidari (day trips) but were out off by the potential of the nightlife (thank god)! Also enjoyed the ancient history of various sites and great harbour towns. Both fancy a few days added on to a holiday in Corfu Town and enjoyed Kos Town. Book a flight that suits you then you can source accommodation. Book early and then look for 2 bedroom apartments. We usually stay in a cheap and cheerful place in Roda, Corfu every year and love it. Kids have independence (sometimes get asked to watch the bar if bar owner has to go for 5 mins etc which they love), dead basic but clean, AC pool table, pool and dart board and bar does food. Couple of mins walk to beach, bats, restaurants etc. we love it! 2 weeks there (was e540 for 2 weeks in a 2 bed apartment with 2 rooms with AC in peak season). Old fashioned decor, but we don't care. Then we go again in low season and try a different island and upgrade to 4-5 star. Holiday costs approx £2000 pa not inc spending money. That's for 1 adult, 2 teens to Greece.

OnyK Wed 31-Aug-16 00:05:58

midsomermurderess or fly onto Kalamata if it's cheaper.

Makemineacabsauv great idea, but my teens leave all that to me!

Looking at mainland or maybe Lefaka for next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now