Can anyone give me some advice re: luggage?

(13 Posts)
Lottielou7 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:01:12

Sorry, boring question I know. I'm going to Tenerife for a week with 12 year old and 7 year old dds and I need to buy new suitcases. Since we will only be going for a week and I don't intend to be doing any washing I was wondering whether to get two small suitcases (30 litres) one for my stuff and one for theirs, or get a bigger suitcase and put all our stuff in it. And whether that would then be too heavy for baggage allowance?

We won't be taking beach towels because we'll be spending most of our time at the hotel and they give you beach towels to use and in the bathroom obviously.

We don't travel very often so I'm not sure of what would be the best thing to do.

Any advice?

BitOutOfPractice Mon 22-Aug-16 18:03:12

I'd get two smaller ones. Many airlines don't allow you to pool your weight allowance and the 12 yo is more than capable of handling a case

I don't know how big 30litres is though I'm afraid

heritager Mon 22-Aug-16 18:04:56

One suitcase for three people for a week will be too heavy unless you're a much lighter packer than me. My tip would be: get two, but not two the same size. I'd get one a bit larger than half what you want in total, one a bit smaller. Much more useful for other trips later when you might only want one suitcase: then you have a choice of sizes.

BusStopBetty Mon 22-Aug-16 18:05:17

30 litres is small rucksack sized. What's your luggage allowance?

emotionsecho Mon 22-Aug-16 18:06:08

Are you doing hand luggage only? If so, two smaller cases that fit the dimensions for carry on luggage would be better.

HemanOrSheRa Mon 22-Aug-16 18:06:55

I'd get two smaller ones. Easyjet for example, have a restriction on the size of case you can check in regardless of the weight. Plus, if you have two cases you can pack a bit of all of your things in each one. Just in case one goes astray. Although it might just be me who does that confused!

emotionsecho Mon 22-Aug-16 18:07:03

Which airline are you going with and what are the carry on luggage restrictions?

Lottielou7 Mon 22-Aug-16 18:44:25

It's Thomson. Baggage allowance is 15kg per person. Thanks for replies. I do usually like to put a few things in the hand luggage just in case.

I know of people who never check stuff in and just take it as a carry on but I suppose that will present problems with toiletries and I don't really want to be buying stuff I don't need to, especially since the pound is worth buttons abroad now wink

BusStopBetty Mon 22-Aug-16 18:56:41

Last time I went with a 15kg allowance I bought one of the large World's Lightest suitcases. They're fine, but as they only have two wheels, not four, they're not as movable. You probably want something that's about 80 litres, not 30.

Get four wheels, if you can. Your back will thank you.

Lottielou7 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:33:36

Yes, I'm definitely getting one with four wheels because I have an ongoing back injury. Thanks for your advice.

Lottielou7 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:34:32

I was thinking of one of the American Tourist ones.

leccybill Mon 22-Aug-16 21:37:42

Mix your clothing across your 2 cases, just in case (haha)
If you buy luggage in plain colours, tie a ribbon around the handle to recognise it.
Don't forget adapter plugs.

Be prepared for security to take a while. Present charged-up tablets separately and no liquids at all.

Lottielou7 Mon 22-Aug-16 21:55:58

Thank you leccy Bill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now