Holiday abroad, first time, single parent - any advice?

(8 Posts)
citruslemon Thu 11-Aug-16 10:57:52

DD8 and I have been abroad before but with friends and family. We've visited Dubai, Egypt and Turkey. We've done lots of UK trips.

I want to take her abroad for a week either Feb or May half-term, just the two of us.

We would like:
- somewhere safe, so we can just walk out of the hotel and go for a walk if we wanted to (probably somewhere in Europe?)
- fly from Birmingham
- family friendly with a pool
- organised excursions
- culture and history
- somewhere that English is understood (I know, sorry!)
- not anywhere too cold
- Budget £1200 for both of us maximum

citruslemon Thu 11-Aug-16 10:58:31

Any recommendations appreciated - thank you smile

noramum Thu 11-Aug-16 11:16:11

It may be still a bit chilly for February but for May I would say Malta or the Canaries.

juneau Thu 11-Aug-16 18:07:09

If its Feb then yes, Canaries. I've only been to Lanzarote, but that was lovely.

If its May then you could also go to southern Spain or the Balearic islands - both of which would be warm enough for beach/pool time, etc. The Canaries in winter are usually low 20s, so not hot, but as long as the sun is out they can be very pleasantly warm. Late May in both areas would, I'm guessing, be around 25-30 degrees.

fluttershyby Thu 11-Aug-16 18:27:19

I took my 2 dcs on our first proper holiday. Went to gran canaria in May. I chose an all inclusive hotel so didn't have to worry about food etc. They loved just helping themselves to ice cream etc. The pool had slides which was another bonus. There was also a free kids club to which they went twice to give me a couple of hours peace.
We went on camel rides and visited a Wild West park which was fantastic. Didn't do much culture but we all had a fantastic time and they keep on asking when we can go back.
I booked everything separately and even got free wifi at hotel thrown in as I booked direct. Went for private taxi transfers which were the same price as the shuttle bus. Felt like we had our own chauffeur as he was waiting for us at the airport with our name on a board when we arrived. He gave us some tips on what to do and was great. Overall including night at hotel at uk airport it cost just under £1000 for the 3 of us. Absolute bargain.

TheRollingCrone Thu 11-Aug-16 18:37:41

Last year dd 8 and I went to Tingaki in Kos, absolutely lovely. We stayed at apts called Mythos.
Beach is on your doorstep
Great trip to waterpark, dolphin watching etc, can ferry day trip to Turkey
She met loads of kids at the apts (which has lovely pool)
Lots of heritage/archaeological sites
For all their woes the Greeks are the most hospital after the Irish in the
World
Have a lovely time wherever you go, and give us an update! ☺

TheRollingCrone Thu 11-Aug-16 18:39:30

Hospitable ^

SheHasAWildHeart Thu 11-Aug-16 19:41:56

I went to Spain pre-DD and had an amazing time visiting lots of historical places, which I hope to revisit with DD when she's older.
Canaries and Grand Canaria sound fab - have to two single friends who went to the latter and loved it. So which check out.
Never heard of Tingaki so will be doing some Google research ;) thank you all x I will book nearer the time, which I know is a risk but I have such bad luck that I avoid planning anything too far in advance! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now