Dublin this weekend - what to do / see /eat/ drink?

(6 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Wed 10-Aug-16 23:33:33

As ever I'm late thinking about this break even!

Any recommendations ? Never been before. Will have a hire car

dreamingofsun Thu 11-Aug-16 10:05:35

we didn't love central dublin. its lovely along the coast though - dalkey, dun lairie. look on trip advisor ref food - we found some excellent pubs selling food and its hard to tell from the building outside whats going to be great food or mediocre. its not cheap - about the same as S England. i liked the cathedral.

Buscake Thu 11-Aug-16 10:13:09

Yes yes yes temple bar is a godforsaken tourist trap BUT the Elephant and Castle is there. Go, eat the greatest chicken wings on the planet, thank me later

littlewoollypervert Thu 11-Aug-16 10:21:36

Good restaurants in Dublin city centre - try and get the early bird so it will be about €25 for 3 courses.
La Mere Zou
Peploes
Pichet (early bird ends at 6.30!!!)
Hugos
Marco Pierre White
Darwins
Vintage Kitchen (BYOB)
Red Torch Ginger
Saba
Chili Club

If you are driving, go to Johnny Foxes pub up in Glencullen for lovely food - highest pub in Ireland, some great views on the road up to it.

If you are going as far as Wicklow (the county is known as the Garden of Ireland), there are 3 Avoca Handweavers restaurants/shops on the way - go to the Powerscourt one, you can eat on the terrace overlooking one of the 3 best gardens in Europe (National Geographic, 2014).

If you get as far as Wicklow Town pop into Mount Usher in Ashford on the way (there's another Avoca Handweavers in the shopping courtyard).

Romany Stone restaurant in Ashford is lovely, as is the Lighthouse in Wicklow town (both have fab fish), also try the Bridge and the Mariner pubs.

Helenluvsrob Thu 11-Aug-16 15:07:43

Thanks all! Ds already warned me about temple bar smile

Think we'll try to catch a free walking tour to start with too.

I'm honestly from work in good time to leave and dh is going is personal speciality of stressing out about timings etc , and printing everything from air b&b that was clearly just meant to be in Internet format !

Buscake Thu 11-Aug-16 15:28:30

Pint of Guinness at Foggy Dew 😋

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now