I've made a huge mistake : (

(190 Posts)
time2shine Wed 10-Aug-16 12:18:51

Didn't sleep last night : (( I made an impulsive decision and booked our holiday. I booked the Liberty Lykia for us and our four children. Then I came on and looked at trip advisor reviews and sat up all night reading about people getting sick constantly, outdated rooms, a zoo, nappies and litter everywhere, food on all the tables at the children's park, bees everywhere stinging people. I'm devastated.

I almost booked the Hilton Sanagarme (spelling?) which we've always wanted to go to or the Royal Wings - same price. But I was impulsive and booked this because I thought it would be good for the children. It sounds like I've booked Butlins : (( So wish I could go back in time.

My eldest son saw the pictures and even he said it doesn't look like what we are used to and will miss having a main central block with a huge grandeur marble floor to explore.

It's too late now but I'm now sitting here thinking about us all being ill sitting in old rooms. Gutted.

LuckySantangelo1 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:21:43

What are you talking about? It's rated 4.5 on tripadvisor.

sleepyhead Wed 10-Aug-16 12:24:39

This one?

It's got 4.5 average on Tripadvisor. Are you ignoring the 854 Excellent reviews and only looking at the 14 Terrible ones?

I know it's tempting to do that on Tripadvisor, but try not to. I read the "Terrible" reviews (a tiny fraction of the number of reviews that had been Excellent) of the place we went to recently on holiday after we got back. I'm glad I did it that way because I'd have been worried otherwise - bore no resemblance to our experience luckily!

LemonRedwood Wed 10-Aug-16 12:24:45

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g312737-d300020-Reviews-Liberty_Hotels_Lykia-Oludeniz_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Which reviews were you reading? Because this looks lovely. I call stealth boast.

NedStarksHead Wed 10-Aug-16 12:24:54

Yeah what are you on about? 4.5 on trip advisor & first page full of good reviews.

Is this a stealth boast or something?

FeckinCrutches Wed 10-Aug-16 12:26:32

It doesn't have any terrible reviews?

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:27:43

Why would you not read reviews first? confused

monkeyfacegrace Wed 10-Aug-16 12:28:24

You've booked Turkey. You've more than a crap hotel to worry about m'dear.

kitchenwitchen Wed 10-Aug-16 12:29:23

My eldest son saw the pictures and even he said it doesn't look like what we are used to and will miss having a main central block with a huge grandeur marble floor to explore.

hmm

LemonRedwood Wed 10-Aug-16 12:29:45

Also, there are probably much more interesting things for your son to explore than a 'huge grandeur marble floor". confused

grannyinwaiting Wed 10-Aug-16 12:30:27

We booked a super cheap bargain place in Majorca and the reviews are 70% rubbish! Don't care to be fair because the ones which aren't make much more sense and completely rip the poor ones apart! And we're getting away. It's all very subjective.

LuckySantangelo1 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:30:50

What an odd thread to start. If it is a stealth boast maybe it was inspired by the 'poor me weddings are so expensive mine cost 60k' thread?!

LemonRedwood Wed 10-Aug-16 12:31:08

If my son complained that an expensive holiday didn't look like what he was used to, I'd tell him he could stay at home. That's got everything he's used to in it.

TellMeSomethingNew Wed 10-Aug-16 12:32:21

confusedhmm

Only1scoop Wed 10-Aug-16 12:32:33

It's turkey Op, I'm sure your ds will find marble floors in every hotel to erm....enjoy

If that's your bag I'm sure you won't be disappointed....

BusStopBetty Wed 10-Aug-16 12:33:35

Yeah, looks shite. Get yourself to Pontins at Camber Sands instead.

grannyinwaiting Wed 10-Aug-16 12:33:36

Although, shit, there is no marble floor so I am now officially furious. How will I tell the family sad

YouSay Wed 10-Aug-16 12:34:09

For every one good/bad review there are a thousand others who liked the hotel but didn't bother to review. People who are unhappy always leave a bad review.

I am laughing at your son saying he will miss the large grandeur marble floor.

TheGreatDessert Wed 10-Aug-16 12:34:57

Yeah, sorry I don't understand... Over 1200 excellent reviews vs 29 terrible assuming you've named the correct place? confused

FinnegansCake Wed 10-Aug-16 12:35:17

LemonRedwood 😂 - yes!

BuzzzyBeee Wed 10-Aug-16 12:36:12

How ofd

BuzzzyBeee Wed 10-Aug-16 12:36:42

Oops how odd considering the links that have been posted? Have you got the name wrong?

FeckinCrutches Wed 10-Aug-16 12:37:14

Those other two hotels actually have more poor/terrible reviews than the one you have booked. What on earth are you on about, what an odd thread to start.

MardyGrave Wed 10-Aug-16 12:37:22

It's just not a holiday without a grand marble floor to explore. What a shame you've let the whole family down hmm

leccybill Wed 10-Aug-16 12:39:35

YABU to book Turkey in the first place. I bet it was cheap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now