Campsites near Rome

(30 Posts)
ObiWanCannoli Tue 02-Aug-16 23:57:37

That's it really. We have 4 dc, 3 with asd and we are planning a school history trip to Rome.

So can anyone recommend a family friendly campsite (we have a 10 man tent) or a cheap place to stay. Or even any websites I should try. This will be our first venture abroad and I'm not sure where to start and to be honest I'm rather nervous.

I'd be grateful for any pointers. Thank you.

Graceflorrick Wed 03-Aug-16 00:07:38

I wouldn't start with Rome for your first trip abroad. It's absolutely packed, long queues for all the museums, hard to find a decent toilet and there are limited places where you can sit and recharge your batteries.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions. We went this summer for a second time and it was as horrific as the first time flowers

ObiWanCannoli Wed 03-Aug-16 00:12:27

We home educate, so we'd be aiming for term time. Hopefully quieter and cheaper.

We are learning about Roman history soon and my eldest has asked to go a few times.

Are there any other really good a Roman sites for families to visit, I know of the U.K ones but I'd love to take them to Italy. I think it would be a great experience. I'm just looking for good campsites or small family friendly places to stay that aren't too pricey.

Graceflorrick Wed 03-Aug-16 07:20:27

We took DC before school holidays started, it was very busy indeed.

therootoftheroot Wed 03-Aug-16 07:25:00

We stayed at camping fabulous. It's outside of the city and really lovely. Big pool, shop, restaurant etc

For your first trip abroad you might want to do a package holiday so everything is taken care of for you.....

ohdearme1958 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:29:50

I frequently visit Rome in what is supposed to be the quiet times of the year and it's still very busy and as a mum who did home Ed, and travelled internationally with her now 25 year old son who's severely autistic I'd say this could be one very big disaster of a trip

Please reconsider.

Ditsy4 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:37:51

Lots of Roman sites in Northumbria. Housesteads, Vindolanda and museums in both Newcastle and Carlisle with artefacts. Haven't been to Rome but I would love to go. I have heard it is very busy. Could you have a couple of days there the fly back to Newcastle and stay in Northumbria. Beautiful wild countryside with breathtaking views.

Graceflorrick Wed 03-Aug-16 07:38:06

How are you going to get into the city everyday from the campsite? I'd factor that into your decision too.

Agree with route Camping Fabulous is ideal. If it's your first trip abroad have you thought about booking with someone like Canvas or Eurocamp? The pre erected tents are fairly cheap in term time and they can sort flights, car hire etc. and you get the benefit of an on site rep. Agree Rome is manic but as long as you're well prepared you'll be fine!

ohdearme1958 Wed 03-Aug-16 07:47:46

Agree Rome is manic but as long as you're well prepared you'll be fine

The ASD adds a whole new dimension to being week prepared.

allegretto Wed 03-Aug-16 07:56:33

Yes, Rome is busy but it is still amazing - and much quieter if you can go during term time. However, I would look at staying in Rome at least for a few days. Lots of campsites basically close down when the high season is over and transport into Rome is not great. I would look at staying maybe in a hostel. Have heard good things about this one: www.the-beehive.com/

ohdear I missed the information about asd. Presumably op knows how well they'll cope with crowds though and plan accordingly.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 03-Aug-16 08:17:01

It takes just under an hour to get from Camping Fabulous into the city. There's a bus five minutes from the campsite then you can get on the metro, iirc, at the station furthest out.

Great campsite with loads of facilities. Near Ostia Antica which afaik is never chocca. You might need a car to get there though, not sure, but I guess you're driving with your camping stuff.

APlaceOnTheCouch Wed 03-Aug-16 08:23:17

Have a look at self-catering accommodation. The last time we went to Rome, we had a fab 4 bed apartment about 3 stops from the Coloseum. (We didn't use air b'n'b - it was a dedicated holiday accommodation in Rome website).

allegretto Wed 03-Aug-16 08:25:24

Walking around Rome is tiring - I wouldn't want an hour's trip out at the end of the day and it could also be handy to have somewhere in the city to go back to to break up the day.

therootoftheroot Wed 03-Aug-16 10:30:54

we took our sons to rome when they were about 12 and 8 and we had a BALL

ohdearme1958 Wed 03-Aug-16 11:19:44

* oh dear I missed the information about asd. Presumably op knows how well they'll cope with crowds though and plan accordingly*

I think that's why she's asking

ohdearme1958 Wed 03-Aug-16 11:21:35

we took our sons to rome when they were about 12 and 8 and we had a BALL

Are they in the spectrum? Because taking 2 NT children to Rome is far different to taking 1 child who's on the spectrum let alone 3.

ohdearme1958 Wed 03-Aug-16 11:37:54

OP, I don't know how your children are re sensory issues, over stimulation, meltdowns etc but should things be too much for one or all of them I think a journey back to a safe haven an hour away would be really hard on all of you.

I was there in May with a friend who was 70 while we were away. She needed some age related considerations in place so we stayed in a lovely Airbnb apartment in Trastavere and from there we walked most places because public transport isn't that great. We used to have fun trying to beat how long google maps would tell us it should take. Then at the end of the day we'd get a taxi home if we were tired - it was a minefield and we never paid the same fate twice for the same journey. 😂

So what advice can I offer you in real terms? Well that would be to do skip the line tickets wherever you can. You book ahead and bypass the queues into whatever you're going to see.

I would also advise doing early or late entry to places. It costs more but it means you are allowed entry before the geheral public refit in the day, or later in the evening when they've gone. So being an hour away would be a problem.

You could also do a small group tour which with the size of your family might mean it's only you guys in the group. Again you pay more but it's worth it.

I met a young bloke on a tour this year who was staying in something like the YMCA - he told me there was a few family rooms in it but for now can't recall the detail.

Would you consider doing a very short trip? In and out by air for a couple of nights whilst concentrating on perhaps 2 attractions? You wouldn't have to camp. Although it would mean the cost of your camping holiday being eaten up in a couple of days.

I hop some of this helps.

ohdear is there a reason you're trying to pick arguments? The OP was asking for campsite recommendations. Whilst she did mentioned asd that's not what she asked about, if she wanted advice on coping with the crowds with children with asd then she would have asked for it. People are just answering the question the op asked.

ohdearme1958 Wed 03-Aug-16 15:31:22

English. Im ignoring you.

Have a nice day.

ObiWanCannoli Fri 05-Aug-16 00:17:20

Thank you for the advice.

Yes I have 4 children my eldest is NT and my younger 3 have high functioning autism. I'd looked at Camping Fabulous but I was unsure as to how family friendly it was.

I've travelled abroad before but not with children. We were planning on hiring a car at the airport. I'm not sure about parking in Rome but it would be something I'd look into.

The children manage fine in crowds. I try to give them as many experiences as possible as I think it helps them. I'd plan very carefully, I was more concerned about finding the right base to explore from.

I will check out The Beehive, AirBnB and the campsite at Ostia Antica.

We have family that live close to Vindolanda so have lots of opportunity to see that area easily. I love to give the children opportunities, we decided when we withdrew them from school it would be so we could learn and experience things we wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

I will go and do some more research. Thank you again.

ObiWanCannoli Fri 05-Aug-16 00:35:59

I should just add in I mentioned the asd as some places we've stayed at havent been suitable.

Cottages full of knick knacks, hotels were other guests have complained at the boys verbal and physical stimming.

I've never had an issue with family rooms in hostels or when we've camped as long as we go mid-low season so the facilities and parks are not as busy.

I've always felt more comfortable camping or hosteling. I'm not so worried about the sightseeing but I need to feel like we have a super place to ŵind down. Thank you.

Curlgurl Fri 05-Aug-16 00:47:58

Parking in Rome is a massive no. The streets are so busy and mopeds nip in and out of traffic

Curlgurl Fri 05-Aug-16 00:49:38

I meant roads not streets!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now