Where in France, 1-2 hours from Calais?

(12 Posts)
perrita Tue 02-Aug-16 11:38:27

DH and I recently did a little road trip to Poland and it made us really fancy driving to France for a week in Spring next year. But, I'm not sure where to go! A seaside place would be preferable, within a couple of hours drive from Calais that is dog friendly. Any recommendations or ideas where we should go??

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 02-Aug-16 17:33:38

St-Valery-sur-Somme and Le Crotoy are both lovely, either side of estuary on the coast. Both have lovely places to eat and are about 1 hour South of Calais.

heron98 Thu 04-Aug-16 13:57:46

Le Touquet is a nice coastal town. Very pretty.

AnnPerkins Fri 05-Aug-16 08:52:51

I second le Touquet.

The beaches on that coast are vast, you can walk miles before you reach the sea. And you can travel inland to towns such as Montreuil sur mer (not actually on sea any more but an attractive walled town with nice restaurants etc.)

Or north of Calais for some history you could visit Ypres in Belgium, site of the battle in WW1. Or La Coupole near St Omer, where the V2 was to be launched from in WW2 and now a fantastic museum and Planetarium.

There's loads to do in that region, it's a shame we mostly just drive straight through it to somewhere else.

mumma24 Fri 05-Aug-16 13:59:46

Le touquet

NewBallsPlease00 Sun 07-Aug-16 20:39:08

Was also coming on to say Saint valerie or le touquet!

Bryt Tue 16-Aug-16 20:24:30

I only spent a short visit there but I thought St-Valery-sur-Somme was delightful and have bookmarked it as a place to go back to.

Dowser Wed 17-Aug-16 15:50:25

Southern Brittany is nice but maybe a bit more of a trek from st malo it's only 2.5 hours and there's lovely beaches there.
We used to have a little place at le pouldu, there's loads of caravan sites ...camping de quinquis was very nice. English owned.

You can then go to quimperle, quimper, Lorentz and a place beginning with a c

If you do the roscoes ferry it's an even shorter drive. You might get better weather in southern Brittany

We used to go May when it was just warming up.

Dowser Wed 17-Aug-16 15:51:31

Oops...just seen Calais. Forget that OP.

Caen, ouistreham wasn't too bad

rollonthesummer Wed 17-Aug-16 15:54:12

Le Touquet and Berck are nice but even in May were pretty closed up as the holiday season hadn't begun, so very few cafes and shops were open and it looked v deserted with shutters down everywhere. Not much fun to walk around in the rainy cold (which it was all week!).

Lillagroda Wed 17-Aug-16 16:05:20

<is totally very local and excited when people want to visit>

The Côte d'Opale area is beautiful (I am biased, admittedly) and is a natural park.

Without repeating what others have said ( Montreuil, Le Touquet - fab chocolate shop there, called Le Chat Bleu), I'd add the Deux Caps sites in Wissant, and Le Marquenterre natural reserve. Beck and Merlimont have great, massive beaches but are dead in spring, fab to get the beach to yourself and I love the wilderness of them then, but there will be nothing going on. At all.

converseandjeans Fri 19-Aug-16 18:48:26

Wissant is nice and really near Calais. We stayed at Guines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now