Cheap flights so that my (many) children can experience flying.

(15 Posts)
Clankboing Sat 30-Jul-16 13:53:00

Me and my husband enjoy travelling and we go various places with our 4. But I find that flights are too expensive for the 6 of us. Whilst we are not that desperate for them to experience flights, it would be lovely! Before they leave home lol! Any ideas of cheap flights anyone? To anywhere! :-)

TeaBelle Sat 30-Jul-16 13:54:07

Jersey is lovely and a short is cheapish flight. Booking well in advance and at an oddly timed flight is your best bet

PacificDogwod Sat 30-Jul-16 13:54:08

Have a look at SkyScanner - you can leave dates/airports fairly open and simply look at cheap options. The more flexible you are, the better your chances.

GirlOverboard Sat 30-Jul-16 14:39:41

Yes definitely try Skyscanner. Enter the destination as 'everywhere' and you can see all the cheapest locations. From Stansted for instance you can get to France, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Norway etc for under £20 return. I've seen some great last minute bargains on there too, like £10 return to Mallorca and £8 return to Gothenburg.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 30-Jul-16 14:42:13

Download the hopper app, will tell you when to book for the cheapest flights.

MadisonAvenue Sat 30-Jul-16 14:43:44

Not sure where you are but we regularly fly from Birmingham to Dublin with Ryanair for a day and it costs £9.99 per person per flight, so a £19.98 return. They seem to do these offers quite often and other airports/destinations are included but some are more expensive. A day is nice though as you don't have the expense of an overnight stay to eat into your budget.

FortyFacedFuckers Sat 30-Jul-16 14:47:25

I'm in Scotland, you can get really cheap flights to London, Dublin & Belfast.

LockedOutOfMN Sat 30-Jul-16 14:48:26

TeaBelle Jersey is quite pricey when you get there, though.

I would suggest Spain, Alicante or Málaga perhaps, as there are many flights per day from the U.K., especially in summer so that tends to bring the costs down. Eating, drinking, etc. is cheap there and your children should be sufficiently entertained by the beach, walking around and free entertainment going on (fireworks at night, live music in the street, etc.) to not need to spend too much. Look for an airbnb apartment.

Happy holidays!

LunaLoveg00d Sat 30-Jul-16 14:51:04

We saw flights to Belfast from Glasgow ridiculously cheaply. For 2 adults and 3 kids it was going to be around £120 return for all of us. We are planning on going over for a weekend and seeing the Titanic museum.

Clankboing Sat 30-Jul-16 17:14:18

Wow, thanks for this. I shall have fun investigating!

2StripedSocks Sat 30-Jul-16 20:41:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

olympicfan Sun 31-Jul-16 08:43:19

We are flying Southend to Amsterdam and it is £5.99 for DD as she does not have to pay the £13 air tax. It is only an hour flight. Perfect!

ElenaSummer Sun 31-Jul-16 22:53:01

Luna would you mind sharing the dates / how far in advance this was ?

I had a similar plan however flights for 5 and then finding a hotel to sleep us all proved challenging !

BarbaraofSeville Mon 01-Aug-16 11:29:31

There is a cheap flights search feature on the moneysavingexpert website. You tell it when and how much you want to pay, and also maximum price and it says what is available. Also similar on Ryanair website if they fly from convenient airports.

Which airports are you near? Ryanair fly cheaply from Stansted to Billund in Denmark. There is a morning flight and an evening flight so you could go for the day if you wanted but it would be a long day (but could always sleep on the plane).

A mile or two away from Billund airport is Legoland and an indoor waterpark/leisure complex. How fab would that be for a day out?

ElenaSummer Mon 01-Aug-16 12:08:51

Barbara that sounds like a brilliant idea ! Thank you for sharing .

I shall start pricing now , even just the waterpark as I assume legoland would be expensive and possible too much in one day depending on ages of children .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now