Which part of Berlin?

(13 Posts)
Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 25-Jul-16 07:13:09

Hi. I'm planning a trip to Berlin in October. There will be 4 of us including 2 teens. Not sure which part to stay in. We want to be central and somewhere a bit glossy rather than edgy. In London I'd go for Putney or Hampstead rather than Camden for example. Does anyone know Berlin at all that can give me some ideas? Many thanks.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Mon 25-Jul-16 07:14:44

Sorry not helpful but Putney is glossy?!

DragonRojo Mon 25-Jul-16 07:38:49

I think Berlin has a lot of grotty areas. I love it, but it is not glossy. I would try to stay near Postdammer Platz, so that you have the modern Sony Centre nearby and the Tiergarten

DragonRojo Mon 25-Jul-16 07:41:00

Or last time I started at the Steinberger Hotel am Kanzleramt, and it was very nice

MrsFrankieHeck Mon 25-Jul-16 07:55:27

I'm going soon and staying near the zoo, apparently it's a good location for shopping etc.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 25-Jul-16 13:56:31

OK maybe not glossy, not like Knightsbridge or whatever but I'm trying to give an idea of the feel that I'd like. I like that bit of London. Putney, Fulham, Mortlake, Barnes, Richmond, St Margarets etc. Like in Manchester I'd go for Altrincham/Hale/Wilmslow/Alderley Edge or Bristol I'd go for Clifton/Westbury Park. In Barcelona I like the Exaimple district and in Paris I liked the 6th Arrondisement.

Sort of middle class not ultra posh. There must be places like that in Berlin, surely? I just don't know anyone that has been!

Twowrongsdontmakearight Mon 25-Jul-16 13:57:24

Sorry! Got disturbed before I posted so I've been ages. X posted with lots so I'll check them out. Thank you. X

Makemineacabsauv Tue 26-Jul-16 01:46:01

We stayed at the Hilton using yes I vouchers. In Mitte district, close to checkpoint Charlie.

AppleMagic Tue 26-Jul-16 01:48:24

I second staying near Potsdamer Platz.

BeMorePanda Tue 26-Jul-16 01:52:24

I stayed in Mitte (near Natural History Museum). Great location, lovely cafes etc, good transport links.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Tue 26-Jul-16 20:31:10

Thank you all. I'll have a look at what's available.

LBOCS2 Tue 26-Jul-16 20:41:44

Have a look around Charlottenburg. It's near the main drag, has good transport links and is generally quite nice, and not too busy.

olympicfan Thu 28-Jul-16 14:47:30

We stayed in Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof (great pool) and most recently with two teens at Aparthotel Adagio Berlin Kurfürstendamm both are near zoologicalgarten and in lovely areas with great restaurants and shops. About 5-10 mins on s bahn into city centre.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now