holiday ing in France this summer. What do I need to consider?

(18 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Sun 24-Jul-16 09:52:25

In view of the terrorist attacks in France, their current state of emergency, and the border control issues, is there anything I ought to do/take/consider when we go on holiday to the Med coast in a few weeks?

We will be flying Ryanair to Perpignan and hiring a car.

magimedi Sun 24-Jul-16 10:06:52

Make sure you carry ID on you at all times. It should be your passport, but a good photocopy of it will probably be OK.

When driving make sure you have your licence with you at all times.

magimedi Sun 24-Jul-16 10:07:10

Posted too soon - have a lovely holiday!

catslife Sun 24-Jul-16 17:46:19

Not related to the terror attacks, but check the driving regulations in France so that you are aware of speed limits etc. I understand that the French police do have speed checks and can give on the spot fines etc. You are expected to carry your own alcohol breathalyser for example and you may need car seats if the hire company don't provide them and your dcs are still young enough to need them.
Where are you staying? Some hotels may now have extra security measures in place but they usually ask for passport details on check-in as well.
I would have a look at the FO website for advice as well but most areas are still regarded as safe. Have a good holiday!

ivykaty44 Sun 24-Jul-16 20:49:22

You are not expected to carry a breathalyser, this was put on hold by the French government and not revisited as a requirement

LifeIsGoodish Sun 24-Jul-16 23:22:46

We've still got our breathalysers from last time we drove in France. And the hi-vis jackets.

We don't usually carry documents around with us, but it would seem sensible to be able to identify ourselves immediately if needed, so will probably do so this time, thanks.

jenpetronus Mon 25-Jul-16 15:09:41

Documents and a a high vis jacket that has to be reacheable by the driver, as well as a warning triangle, (the breathalyser was never brought into force) These are general guidlines and not as a result of the recent attacks. afaik (I live in France) there have been no changes for the general public, it is the police and authorities who are more vigilant and in evidence.

juneau Tue 26-Jul-16 08:20:25

Personally, I would stay away from large cities and large gatherings. I wouldn't be at all put off going to France (we were there last week), but I would take sensible precautions. There is a state of emergency there because the security services are unable to keep people safe. The Nice truck attack - apparently planned for about a year - no one had any idea. The Paris attacks - planned by large numbers of people over many months - no one had any idea. But on a driving trip in a rural area, like the one you're going to, you should be absolutely fine. Go to Collioure - its one of my favourite towns in France. The market is fab. The beaches at Argeles are lovely.

Chocolou Wed 27-Jul-16 17:40:05

We're off to givrand in the vendee last week of school hols. It's our first holiday abroad with ds 10 and must admit I'm quietly nervous. Our ds said today he was worried and scared and now I feel terrible we are taking him somewhere with a very high threat.

I need talking down. I am scared and wish we weren't going.

OneEpisode Wed 27-Jul-16 17:46:34

The FCO advice is still that the highest risk to holiday makers is pickpockets. I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Graceymac Wed 27-Jul-16 17:49:33

I am in France at the moment, staying near Perpignan infact. I was nervous after the Nice attack but it is fine, life is continuing as normal. No change from any other time that I have been to France.

Chocolou Wed 27-Jul-16 21:22:50

I suppose it's the uncertainty of the attacks. Every day I pour over the newspapers making myself scared. I really can't help it.

All so sad France is a beautiful country

Graceymac Wed 27-Jul-16 21:31:46

I know. I suppose we all just need to keep things in perspective. No where in Europe is risk free at the moment. I also think the media has a lot to answer for as many of these incidents reported recently are not terror related and happen often without the extensive news coverage that is happening at present. I didn't discuss anything about the France attacks within earshot of my dds. They don't watch the news anyway so they know nothing about it and are oblivious to the fear that many are feeling at the moment.

OneEpisode Wed 27-Jul-16 21:40:41

France is pretty big too. Focus on the part you will be going to and the real problems you will be facing; when is market day, best ice creams and where the loo stops are on the way there.

Ledkr Wed 27-Jul-16 22:10:15

We are here now and for another 2.5 weeks. I was worried but we are having a lovely time but I will definitely be avoiding large gatherings and hugely popular beaches. I was at the beach last week and found myself looking around to see where we could hide if something happened which I know is ott but I can't help it.

LifeIsGoodish Thu 28-Jul-16 00:57:37

I grew up in London during the IRA bombings. You don't let the bullies rule your life, but you remain alert and behave sensibly.

I'm not convinced that keeping away from popular beaches and crowded places would make a huge difference. Would anyone have worried about going to Mass at a little suburban church? These attacks are unpredictable. A crowded street on market day in a little town is probably as much at risk now as the plaza beneath the Eiffel Tower.

So we will go to France. We will travel early to allow for more time passing through Security and Immigration, and make sure we always carry ID.

Chocolou Thu 28-Jul-16 22:59:43

I know what you mean leadkr. I feel awful that I'm exposing my son knowing how high the risk is. I know people say you can let the bullies win and you can't but I'm still scared.

BeenThereDoneThatForgotten Thu 28-Jul-16 23:02:35

We've been in France for the last 3 weeks. Life goes on as normal. Go and enjoy your holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now