Majorca - which resort with toddler and baby

(17 Posts)
CottonSock Wed 20-Jul-16 13:43:04

Hi, I'm after some advice on my holiday plans.

We have a 3 year old and a newborn, looking to go to majorca in September. Chosen based on good flights from local town and hopefully not too hot, too far, fairly easy etc. I've been before as a single person, but now criteria are very different! (We are confident travellers, but will be first trip with both kids)

We want ... (a lot)

A fairly nice hotel, four or five star
Upmarket type of resort wirh nice places to walk
Toddler play area and splash pool
Heated pool
Promenade for walks with buggy (smooth surface!) Puerto pollensa looks rather bumpy.
Access to decent places to eat
Near a kid friendly beach
Not too isolated, so excursions are easy

Does cala d'or fit this the best? I've seen it recommended for families.
Any hotel recommended?

Thanks all

phoenix1973 Wed 20-Jul-16 13:57:58

Cala d'or and Cala Millor are great so is alcudia.
Great promenade and flat in alcudia with a lovely beach, gentle, shallow sea. Great for kids.
In alcudia, you also have the old town and harbour to see. Also, little Venice with its small bridges and waterways is pleasant to walk around.
There is a nature reserve at s'albufeira to walk around as well. Plus a water park.
The calas are smaller, quieter resorts with a more upmarket feel.
All these resorts are on the opposite side to the airport so expect a coach transfer of approx an hour.
If you want nearer the airport, Palma nova has a nice beach and promenade but is not as picturesque or peaceful and more for partying.

I've been to all these places alone, with partner and then with our child.

CottonSock Wed 20-Jul-16 16:03:18

Brilliant, thanks phoenix, will look at those. Would prefer a short transfer, but I need to compromise on something I think.

Makemineacabsauv Wed 20-Jul-16 19:24:07

We stayed at club Marty in Csla aegis near Csla d'or. Was fab! Don't go AI as the AI food wasn't good but bar food was and there are loads of child friendly restaurants beside the hotel/apartments. 20 min walk through marina to Csla d'or or you can take the happy train which your 3 yo might like.,

Ilovenannyplum Wed 20-Jul-16 19:31:42

I've just come back from hotel sa coma playa in sa coma (funnily enough grin) it was hands down the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, v toddler/child friendly, lovely children's pool. Just up the road from Cala Millor which was a bit busier in the evenings.

Can't recommend enough smile

littlepooch Wed 20-Jul-16 19:32:57

Cala d'or is lovely. Great for families - we love it. My DD is only a baby but there are always families of all ages there.

Based on our experience last year I would tell you to avoid Cala bona and Cala Miller - they were fairly average and a bit dingy and run down. I do know there is a family hotel/complex in Cala bona which is supposed to be great though if that's the type of thing you are looking for with little ones but the rest of the town was not great so if you are planning to leave hotel I wouldn't recommend it.

I love Majorca!

Ilovenannyplum Wed 20-Jul-16 19:33:26

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/majorca/sa-coma/hotels/protur-sa-coma-playa-hotel-and-spa.html

littlepooch Wed 20-Jul-16 19:33:43

Forgot to say - My sister went to sa coma last year and liked it too.

CottonSock Thu 21-Jul-16 14:23:34

It's between cala d'or and alcudia I think. Very exciting. I am in danger of blowing the budget for a posh hotel. Car hire seems ridiculously cheap so might do that for week to avoid coach transfer so we can take at least the maxi cosi for baby. Fear of getting something totally age inappropriate from hire company as happened to us in canaries.

Will let you know what I book and feedback

Hersetta427 Thu 21-Jul-16 16:23:00

Cala millor or Cala Bona I would say. Hotels I would say the holiday village in cala millor or the protur aparthotel in Cala Bona.

Mum4Fergus Thu 21-Jul-16 21:24:55

Bonaire in Cala Bona smile

Misty9 Tue 02-Aug-16 23:38:30

We stayed at the bonaire on cala bona with similar aged dc and it was great. Nice little fishing village type marina feel and decent places to eat. Hotel was great (1bed apartment) and well placed for trips out to castles etc. We're not a beach family so the lack of that in cala bona itself didn't bother us, but there was a lovely one a bus ride away with an amazing restaurant on the beach. Definitely hire a car and recommend the boostapak too.

We walked to cala millor as it was down the road - and hastily turned around and walked back! It was everything we don't want in a resort.

Great holiday - and highly recommend the mojitos in the first bar as you walk to the marina grin

flossietoot Tue 02-Aug-16 23:40:49

Puerto pollenca isn't bumpy. Gorgeous beach, nice play park on sea front, lovely hotels and restaurants.

flossietoot Tue 02-Aug-16 23:42:16

I didn't like alcudia. The ports ok, but the town not so much. You can get a bus to visit old town from port of pollenca very regularly.

notnowbernadette Thu 04-Aug-16 15:18:46

I think you might be confusing Pollensa with Puerto Pollensa as Pollensa is pretty old with cobbles in places whilst Puerto Pollensa is on the coast a couple of miles away and I would say is pushchair friendly.

AliceMum09 Tue 09-Aug-16 08:19:32

The Pine Walk in Puerto Pollensa is a bumpy path. It didn't seem to bother our children when they were in prams, but considering most people (like us) take a Maclaren-type buggy the babies do look a bit uncomfortable being shaken about!

It would be OK if you'd taken a bigger pram with tyres and bigger wheels.

bramblina Sun 14-Aug-16 01:12:29

Sa Coma is lovely as is the Playa Dorada but the pool is in the shade by about 2-3pm.

Try the Insotel Cala Mandia, they have 4 areas, one of which has a lovely little toddler pool. The rest of the hotel is beautiful and is close to one of those lovely little bays Majorca has.

www.insotelhotelgroup.com/en/resorts/mallorca/insotel-cala-mandia-resort

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now