I have fallen in love with Mallorca

(229 Posts)
PacificDogwod Mon 18-Jul-16 22:58:57

Just back from holiday there, first time on any Balearic Island for all of us.

I just loved it.
I am now looking at holiday lets for the October school week grin

How did I not know about this magical island??
confused

I also found a wonderful property available to buy for a mere 5.8 million Euros grin. V nice it is too. I may start playing the lottery….
<sigh>

SantanaLopez Mon 18-Jul-16 23:00:45

I've got 1.37 in spare Euros you can have towards the villa. Obviously that will entitle me to a week here and there... grin

Donthate Mon 18-Jul-16 23:06:25

Where did you stay? We are going to Puerto Pollensa again this year. I love it too. Would love to buy a little place out there.

PacificDogwod Mon 18-Jul-16 23:15:00

<pockets Santana's small change>

Ta. Every little helps grin
I am also considering ditching DH and marrying a Russian oligarch - that might be quicker than waiting to win the lottery.

We stayed in a little place called Puigpunyent, near the northern end of the Tramuntana Mountainrange.
DH is a keen cyclist and did insane trips with DS1(13).
The rest of us just lolled about the pool grin

I found the whole island so much more interesting than any of the Canary Islands, more multidimensional, more alive with actual people rather than a monoculture of tourists <waxes lyrically>

PacificDogwod Mon 18-Jul-16 23:15:31

Puerto Pollenca is on my hit list for October.

Now looking at villas grin

SantanaLopez Mon 18-Jul-16 23:17:33

How funny, I've just finished a book about an American family who stay in Puigpunyent! It's called the Vacationers. Good holiday read.

The monastery where Chopin and George Stand stayed is one of those places that I left a bit of my heart in I think. The views envy

SantanaLopez Mon 18-Jul-16 23:18:05

Stand? Sand!

busyboysmum Mon 18-Jul-16 23:19:52

We're going to Puerto Pollensa in August and I can't wait. I love the island.

I also love Menorca although it is quieter but you can mountain bike round the whole island discovering virgin beaches if you are so inclined.

PacificDogwod Mon 18-Jul-16 23:22:51

Gawd, yes, Valdemossa was gorgeous and awe-inspiring - I was going to buy George Sand's book but didn't in the end. Too busy doing Not Very Much (and reading The Life of Others which was v engrossing and disturbing and has stayed with me but that's maybe for another thread).

I may look up The Vacationers.

We were woken every morning at half four by the local donkey braying, followed by about 2000 cockerels competing with each other grin - thank goodness for ear plugs!

We did day trips to Palma, Andratx, Port d'Antrax, Deia, Soller and Port de Soller, Petra and Algaida.

I've travelled a lot in Europe and North Amerca, but somehow never made it to the Balearics. I'm a bit hmm at just how smitten I am… grin

darreldixonishot Mon 18-Jul-16 23:25:53

I went to Porto Chriso and fell in love with it too! Like you DH was cycling. Beautiful place !

PacificDogwod Mon 18-Jul-16 23:26:04

Oh, Menorca just sounds blissful too - it does look at bit more complicated to get to though and we start out from Scotland, so I'm keen to keep it simple what with travelling with 4 DCs and having limited annual leave.

Oh, and I'll not bore you about how our flight home was cancelled at the very last minute and we spent 8 hours at the air port before finally being carted to a hotel at 4am where we were told they only had 1 room left but could recommend somewhere else and I told them I was not leaving and I would sleep on the sofas in their lobby and they then found another room for us…. v nice rooms they were too (as you would expect in 5 star luxury), shame we only got to spend 4 hours in them before we had another go at getting home hmm

AnyFucker Mon 18-Jul-16 23:27:56

I recommend Ibiza too.

PacificDogwod Mon 18-Jul-16 23:30:47

I have just ordered 4 book about the Balearics from Amazon blush

One with photos, one with the usual touristy advice, one about culture/history and one aimed at families travelling with children.

I had Mallorca (and Ibiza) even more so totally written off a hedonistic all-night-raves one trick ponies… hmm. Yes, I am an ignoramus, but happy to get educated now.

AnyFucker Mon 18-Jul-16 23:32:46

You are wrong about Ibiza. I have visited again this summer for about the 10th time and still finding new little corners to marvel over. You can also drive rit across the island in 40 minutes. Fabulous.

PacificDogwod Mon 18-Jul-16 23:38:26

I know that now, AF, I do <hangs head in shame>

Stupid preconceptions.

Effic Mon 18-Jul-16 23:43:32

Me too! I really really didn't want to go when DP suggested Mallorca for a week away as he loved it so much. Was dreading it ....... Absolutely fell in love with the place and CANNOT WAIT to go back.

ItsABanana Tue 19-Jul-16 00:00:23

Mallorca's a beautiful island, we discovered it the other year when we went on holiday.
Would love to go back!
Not so bothered about Ibiza though. I know there's probably more to it than nightclubs, but that's the type of thing that comes to my head when I think of it - not family friendly and that's what I'd want!
Although I'm happy to be corrected that it has family friendly places too.

Only1scoop Tue 19-Jul-16 00:07:42

Love it Op

Particularly the North

Formentor, Deia, Pollensa, Cala San Vincente....

Always find somewhere new to fall in love with

wigglesrock Tue 19-Jul-16 00:11:36

Oh I love Ibiza grin. The first time I went was with my husband and dd1, she wasn't two yet and I was 5 months pregnant with dd2. I'd been so ill and my husband booked a last minute holiday, it was bloody bliss - I didn't throw up for a whole week!! We've been back quite a few times since then - I think dd3 was lucky to get away with not being landed with Ibiza as a middle name iykwim blush. It's my favourite place in the whole world. I like Mallorca too but Ibiza I love.

lurkingfromhome Tue 19-Jul-16 00:17:45

Tell me more about Ibiza, please. I feel the same about Mallorca and am wondering if Ibiza be similarly lovely and have little pockets with no nightclubs that are not family friendly (just want splendid holiday for me and DH so no kids clubs type nonsense). Is it pretty? Cobbled streets and little seafood restaurants and pick your own avocados type thing? I'd be well up for that.

Lemonlady22 Tue 19-Jul-16 00:22:46

ive just been to ibiza for the 3rd time in a year....its beautiful

TrivialBlah Tue 19-Jul-16 01:01:18

Whereabouts in Ibiza is good for families? Area and accommodation?

I also always assumed it was just full of 18-30 ravers.

Tell me more.

I'm also off to Google holidays to Mellorca!

cazzyg Tue 19-Jul-16 03:22:46

Pollensa is my happy place. We've been taking DD since she was 6 months old - she's now 7 - and calls it her second home. Love sitting in the square watching the children playing and families out walking or sitting looking out over the bay, glass of cava in hand. The scenery is stunning.

Just back last week and have a serious case of post holiday blues.

I used to have a really negative view of Mallorca until I got over myself and realised there's so much more to it than Magalluf.

Euphemia Tue 19-Jul-16 05:04:31

We were near Alcudia for the first week of July - lovely! Friendly people, great food.

DH and I have long talked about retiring there, although he's in London this week and he's been so hot and uncomfortable he's decided his body is made for the west of Scotland rather than Mallorca! confused

Fuck that! I am NOT retiring to Troon! angrygrin

Belleende Tue 19-Jul-16 05:23:00

Oooh I may have found a thread to help me. I am looking for a large villa or group of 2/3 connected villas for a family holiday. I really fancy the balierics.
we will have 8 adults ( up to 75) and 6 children from age 2 to 13. I want to be near some life (small town or decent size village) and within walking to the beach. I would rather have something with some local life not just tourist tat (went to cala d'or on a crap package once, found it catered very heavily to british and german tourists).

any of you come across anything lovely like this? Maybe even a location that fits the bill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now