Where can we holiday in the warm for a budget?

(42 Posts)
Gr8kids3 Sat 09-Jul-16 16:54:00

I know summer holidays are expensive to take the family away. I was wondering if anyone has gone on holiday on short haul flight to a sunny destination with a pool. Not worried about being near a beach. But we thinking of trying to sort this last minute for August. Can anyone help with info please?

Costacoffeeplease Sat 09-Jul-16 17:13:03

How many of you and when roughly?

The end of August is probably easier/cheaper, depending on if you have to be back early sept?

Gr8kids3 Sat 09-Jul-16 17:31:37

2 adults, 2 children (9 & 16) was thinking 5/6 nights either leaving on 31 July or 7/8 August. Those are the only dates I can do because we'll be visiting family.
So frustrating as we hardly get to holiday as a family with dh in the army.
We not very keen on being on the beach so prefer a pool.

imsorryiasked Sat 09-Jul-16 17:31:40

Turkey or Greece.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 09-Jul-16 18:44:44

Yes I think turkey will be one of the few warm places with availability for those dates, on a budget

OnyK Sat 09-Jul-16 20:43:49

What's your budget and can you do 7 nights? Turkey is definitely cheap this year if you're happy to go there.

Have a search online (Thomas Cook, don't select a destination) or pop into a travel agent and see what's available...make sure it's not in a kiddy-drunk resort though!

If you're happy to book independently, you might well find something cheaper.

Gr8kids3 Sat 09-Jul-16 20:52:57

Don't travel agents charge a fee to book with them?

smellylittleorange Sat 09-Jul-16 20:56:58

What is your budget and what airport do you want to fly from ? Portugal flights for about £200 each from gatwick around that time. You could then have a look on holidaying or owners direct for a rental?

smellylittleorange Sat 09-Jul-16 21:01:18

Or if you truly not bothered about a beach friend has just come back from Seville..super cheap flights

bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 09-Jul-16 21:03:59

Just had a short break in the south of France flying from Luton. £40 return!

I'd suggest Greece or Portugal for you op but otherwise your op is maddeningly vague and you seem to be asking Mumsnetters to do the legwork for you.

Searching for budget holidays, or infact any kind of holiday, on the internet is one of the most tedious tasks known to humankind.

2512BC Sat 09-Jul-16 21:07:38

I've booked 2 flights from heathrow to Rome £300- (Alitalia) staying in a studio at a holiday camp £280 . 25/8 til 31/8 Just need to find some spending money now (grin)

Gr8kids3 Sat 09-Jul-16 21:15:40

I thought this was a site we could ask for advice. bibbitybobbityyhat I am not expecting mumsnetters to do the legwork for me. Thank you for your kindness. In future I'll rather not ask for advice. 😑

OnyK Sat 09-Jul-16 21:18:35

I quite enjoy looking for holidays for other people...could do with a few more details though OP!
If you let me know your budget, dates, airport, ages of kids and any preferences/dislikes, I'll see what I can find.

OnyK Sat 09-Jul-16 21:20:10

Seen you've already mentioned dates and ages of kids!

YouMakeMyDreams Sat 09-Jul-16 21:26:21

My sister went all inclusive to a place in Turkey this year for £110 for the week and flight was about the same again. She was meeting a friend there who teaches in Russia. The resort they went to was one popular with Russian families.
There was only my sister and one other couple going to same resort from UK. The staff said that they hadn't spoken English for 10 years. Looked great and she said it was lovely despite not expecting much for the cost.

Gr8kids3 Sat 09-Jul-16 21:28:25

Thank you ladies who have helped me

Gr8kids3 Sat 09-Jul-16 21:55:24

Thank you for the offer OnyK. It would be lovely if it was max £250 each, but that's bit unrealistic. I'm very naive on going on holiday this is why I'm asking for advice.

YouMakeMyDreams do you by any chance do you know the name of the resort please? Sounds lovely, just up our street.

OnyK Sat 09-Jul-16 23:13:56

Had a quick look.
As you don't sound like you'd want to book flights and accommodation separately, I've looked for package holidays. You have all got passports, I assume?

Are those dates the only dates you can do, with no flexibility?
I've found several 7 night self catering package holidays in Turkey dept 8th Aug from London for around £1500-£1600 for the 4 of you. Is that too expensive?

What do you reckon to these?

Club Candan

Turkey: Gondol Apts

Alvaro Apartments

These have night flights, which brings the cost down, but might not suit you.

Gr8kids3 Sat 09-Jul-16 23:21:47

I'm not able to be flexible on those dates. Had a look and they all look lovely but that's bit much. I think I'm trying find something that doesn't exist. Don't mind late flights at all. I don't mind booking things separately if it means it'll be cheaper. Departing from East Midlands or Birmingham is the closest but open to going to other airports. Just need to weigh up the cost of it all.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 10-Jul-16 06:27:52

Packages can be cheaper than booking separately. The travel agent gets commission from the hotel and airline etc.

If you're happy to go to Turkey (I would go to a package beach resort - the risk of something bad happening is probably no more than anywhere else) you can probably get a package cheaply - look on deals section of jet2holidays who fly from East Midlands. They have some very cheap deals to Turkey now.

mouldycheesefan Sun 10-Jul-16 08:14:16

That's nonsense to say that the risk of something bad happening in turkey is no more than anywhere else because terrorist groups have specifically said they will target tourists to turkey. The foreign office website has further details. Of course many people will still go and have a totally trouble free holiday, the risk is still small. But is not correct to say the risk is no greater than anywhere else. This is the foreign office saying this, not me.

notagiraffe Sun 10-Jul-16 08:17:05

Morocco? There are Luton-Marrakesh flights in August on Ryanair for £60 return. Just find a gorgeous hotel with a pool and book it yourself. Too hot for us, but would be a cheap holiday if you can stand the heat.

YouMakeMyDreams Sun 10-Jul-16 08:34:23

I will ask her the specifics. It was in Antalya I'll ask exactly where.

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Sun 10-Jul-16 08:39:02

Package holidays in the school summer holiday for £250 each probably don't exist. The last one I went on was when ds was 4 in early July and it was £250 each for 5 nights in Spain. Once you hit school holidays they double.
Can I suggest morocco though? Lots of lovely riads with pools and weather will be great. You will get lots of bang for your buck and can easily book flights and hotels separately, lots of riads will have taxis attached to pick you up from the airports.

grannyinwaiting Sun 10-Jul-16 08:40:54

Look on love holidays.com. we have just bagged a bargain in Majorca for the 4 of us - £1091 flights accommodation and transfers. It may not be 5 star but it's away!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now