Please help me find a holiday!

(16 Posts)
SloppyDailyMailJournalism Sat 09-Jul-16 16:23:05

I've left it a bit late - we need to go away the last week of July or first week of August - eek. Preferably flight less than 5 hours. Budget of under £3K all in.

We have been to very hot countries the last three holidays and the children would like something a little cooler this time -

Thank you.

dreamingofsun Sat 09-Jul-16 16:32:34

pembrokeshire - like cornwall without the tat and hardly any tourists. you wouldn't need 3k though as its pretty cheap as well, though beautiful

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Sat 09-Jul-16 17:05:14

Thanks dreaming. Would prefer out of UK, but that is a possibility. Do you know any good holiday cottage websites there? Does Pembrokshire cover the Gower? <ignorant>

GnarlyOldGoatDude Sat 09-Jul-16 17:10:06

Watching as in a near identical position grin

sidsgranny Sat 09-Jul-16 17:14:24

How many of you are there? How old are children?

GnarlyOldGoatDude Sun 10-Jul-16 09:18:31

Sorry to hijack, OP- sidsgranny there are 5 of us. 2 adults, 3 young kids (primary/ toddler age). Was thinking Balearics/ Spain/ Portugal but struggling to find something cheap. Were lucky enough to go away earlier in year so this isn't our main holiday if you see what I mean. Am just desperate for some sunshine!

mummymeister Sun 10-Jul-16 10:34:45

the cheap deals really aren't there any more ask any travel agent. the gove changes to holidays in term time put paid to that. if you are on a tight budget I would search that way round first as in put the cost into a search engine rather than the place and see what comes up.

places like travel republic and skyscanner are a good place to start. also have a look at homeaway and airbandb for places to stay.

GnarlyOldGoatDude Sun 10-Jul-16 10:49:58

Yes, I fondly remember the days of booking a £99 mystery deal the same morning we flew! Not really possible with kids alas

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Mon 11-Jul-16 00:52:26

Yeah, sure hmm

mummymeister Mon 11-Jul-16 11:38:19

for holiday cottages have a look at the tourist board for the area you want to go to so for cornwall it is visitcornwall.

also try homeaway and stillwells cottages direct. for last minute always worth looking at lastminute-cottages.co.uk but you need to budget around £600 - £900 for a sleeps 4 with no facilities per week.

dreamingofsun Fri 15-Jul-16 17:38:44

we stayed in a fantastic cottage with a very small agency in st david's. the much bigger one that covered the south was disgusting - or at least the bungalow was - so i wouldn't recommend that. if you are still interested let me know and i'll see if i can remember the small agency. Gower is not in pembrokeshire but is also lovely - we stayed at 3 cliffs bay once which was fantastic.

what about brittany - thats like cornwall/pembrokeshire and is abroad but not too hot?

nilbyname Fri 15-Jul-16 17:43:08

Turkey is still cheapest but will be hot!!

Brittany- Vannes, Quiberon, Carnac all lovely, cooler but beautiful.

Mallorca- soller or Puerto pollensa are both lovely and all the northern part of the island

Portugal- we stayed just outside Lisbon and travelled to beaches and lakes. Was stunning!

Chewbecca Fri 15-Jul-16 17:48:29

I love holiday hunting but finding your brief really tough with those dates, outside the UK yet not too hot.

Are you in the South/ would you consider a ferry to northern France or the long ferry to northern Spain (much much cooler than the south), or ferry then drive to Germany.

If you're looking to fly what's your local airport?

How many children and how old?

Tam2016 Sat 23-Jul-16 20:30:53

Hi
I would recommend Crete. The west is really fantastic with so much to do. Stayed in this very family friendly house in Kissamos where they supplied so many bits and pieces for the kids, so made it so easy and homely. Take a look and enjoy your holidays -> www.spitikissamos.com

lovelyupnorth Sun 24-Jul-16 13:06:01

Sweden - had a fantastic holiday their last year.

This year we are off to Beguim and the Netherlands for a couple of weeks

PoisonWitch Sun 24-Jul-16 13:54:53

How about Iceland? Can fly easyjet and go see all the awesome geological features and laze in the hot springs. Eastern Europe can be great as well. Some amazing Roman ruins in Bulgaria and nice beaches in all the coastal countries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now