holiday in slovenia without a car

(5 Posts)
janx Thu 30-Jun-16 11:13:01

Have you been? Just booked flights to Ljubljana and was thinking of getting train to Lake Bled. Any recommendation for accommodation?

Janek Thu 30-Jun-16 19:10:55

We went to slovenia in 2005, without a car. We got a coach/bus to Bohinj, which went past Bled. I don't remember there having been a train...

Ineedabiscuit Sat 02-Jul-16 11:35:41

I would definitely recommend getting a car for Slovenia to enjoy this stunning country. Shop around on money supermarket for good deals it really is essential to have a car unless you plan to spend all your time in lubijana

Allinafankle Fri 15-Jul-16 19:22:51

We did this last year and loved it. Flew into Ljubljana and stayed at the Hotel Slon for a few days. It really is a stunning little city and we wished we'd stayed longer. Then we caught the train to Lesce Bled and took the bus the couple of miles or so into Bled itself. Stayed at the Hotel Lovec which was fine. Not 5 star but not a hovel! Very central. Bled is a wonderful place and we certainly didn't miss having a car. Spent our days walking around the lake, visiting Vintgar Gorge (on foot), taking a bus to explore Lake Bohinj and its cable cars and took a day trip by train to Nova Gorica, from where you can literally cross the street into Italy.
I don't normally like repeating holidays but I'd do this again in a heartbeat. Do it!

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Fri 15-Jul-16 19:49:38

We are in Slovenia right now grin

Staying in Kranjska Gora on the Austrian/Italian border. It's lovely up here in the Alps so you need to make it this far! We have hired a car. DH does the driving but it's v. straightforward to get around. Be careful though: parking can be a pain. In Bled the longest you can park for is 2 hours. We are going to drive up to Bohinj as well as go to Ljubljana next week.

I think a car will allow you to make the most of it, to be honest. There are so many beautiful places to see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now