Sun cream to prevent prickly heat

(13 Posts)
user1466629408 Wed 22-Jun-16 22:36:39

For the last few years my son has suffered from prickly heat on holiday. It's become really uncomfortable and we've had to visit a pharmacy to get some cream for it. Can anyone recommend a suncream to prevent it? Thanks in advance

angryangryyoungwoman Wed 22-Jun-16 22:38:03

P20

ipswichwitch Wed 22-Jun-16 22:41:04

P20 is great. I get prickly heat with everything bar that

CharleyDavidson Wed 22-Jun-16 22:45:53

Suncream in itself can't prevent prickly heat. Prickly heat is when your skin's sweat glands become blocked and some sunscreens can actually aggravate that.

Prickly heat can be avoided by staying cool, staying in the shade, by wearing loose clothing, by showering frequently in cool water to stop the sweat glands being blocked by dirt/suncream etc. And to have calamine lotion to cool the skin. Having hyrocortisone cream on hand if it looks like it's developing could be a precaution too.

Cakescakescakes Wed 22-Jun-16 22:50:48

Ultrasun. It's once a day too. Works for my prickly heat and was recommended by consultant dermatologist for my sons eczema prone skin.

BeJayKayven Wed 22-Jun-16 22:54:49

I suffered for years with prickly heat. Piz Buin sensitive at least spf30 is the only one that doesn't irritate me. A daily non drowsy anti-histamine also helps.
Touch wood, I havent had it for years.

SparePantsAndLego Wed 22-Jun-16 22:58:16

DS suffers with prickly heat. We use Magicool spray and Ultrasun lotion.

carrietwick Wed 22-Jun-16 23:01:29

I had horrendous prickly heat until I used Garnier dry mist factor 50. I think as its a light spray (you don't rub it in) then it doesn't block the pores on the skin and it's not thick or greasy. I haven't had prickly heat for the last 3 years now and I use this on my two children.

jolufc Thu 23-Jun-16 21:02:54

Piz zuin allergy- stopped mine after 20 years of suffering.

BlossomCat Thu 23-Jun-16 21:16:04

I get polymorphic light reaction, and I have found that the only way to prevent it is to use a suncream that blocks UVa and UVb rays. Boots own brand works best for me in factor 50. I slather it on as soon as possible before the sun shines PMLE leaflet

BeJayKayven Fri 24-Jun-16 09:30:29

I said 'sensitive' up there - meant Piz Buin Allergy

magimedi Fri 24-Jun-16 09:36:53

DAily non drowsy anti histamine & Piz Buin Allergy & I have not had prickly heat for 10 years.

user1466629408 Fri 24-Jun-16 10:23:33

Thanks everyone. We had tried the Piz Buin allergy before and it was slightly better, but I will certainly try some of your suggestions. Thanks so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now