Holiday in October

(12 Posts)
CharlieHarley Tue 21-Jun-16 11:25:19

Hi all
We are looking for a warm holiday desitination less than 4 hours flight - are Cyrpus and Turkey relatively safe to travel? Anyone been recently? Our other thoughts included Malta and Sardinia. Anyone been to these places in October? Will it be warm enough to swim?
Thanks!

concertplayer Wed 22-Jun-16 18:29:27

Yes warm enough to swim But Sardinia can be wet in October Malta hit and miss in OCT but should be alright.
Turkey may not be very safe at the moment.
Cyprus is safer and good weather almost certain

BarbaraofSeville Thu 23-Jun-16 10:30:43

We were in Malta in late September last year and it was still very hot and the sea was very warm.

I would expect uncertainty with the weather but the sea will still be very warm. Bloody hope so as we're going to Gozo this year in early October.

Awks Thu 23-Jun-16 23:22:02

Just suck it up and go to the Canaries. Honestly, I was sniffy about them but been to Lanzarote and Tenerife in autumn and spring and had some amazing holidays.

rookiemere Fri 24-Jun-16 16:12:09

Agree with Awks.

We've been to Tenerife 5 years in a row now in October blush as the weather is - touch wood - always decent at that time of year. the flight is a little longer at 4.5 hrs but not ridiculously so. The sea is relatively warm and the temperature is a pleasant 23-25 most days.

rookiemere Fri 24-Jun-16 16:15:04

Agree with Awks.

We've been to Tenerife 5 years in a row now in October blush as the weather is - touch wood - always decent at that time of year. the flight is a little longer at 4.5 hrs but not ridiculously so. The sea is relatively warm and the temperature is a pleasant 23-

rookiemere Fri 24-Jun-16 16:15:24

Argh sorry slow computer today sorry for double posting

BananaChew Fri 24-Jun-16 16:16:28

I wouldn't go to Turkey personally.

Canaries, Cyprus.

Madbengalmum Fri 24-Jun-16 16:16:32

Tenerife, there are some lovely parts.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 24-Jun-16 16:32:27

The Canaries are lovely and there is plenty to do in addition to sunbathing and drinking. (Personal bugbear about snobby assumption that this is all that people who holiday in Spain do).

Andalucia and Costa del Sol would also probably still be warm, eg Malaga or Nerja if you want to be on the coast or you could rent an inland villa or house with a pool if you want to see the cultural sights of Granada, Ronda, Cordoba, Seville etc.

CharlieHarley Fri 24-Jun-16 17:16:36

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought Spain might be a bit iffy weather wise in October? Might give Turkey a wide berth. Cyprus still gets my vote. Not averse to the canaries islands per se, just been to Tenerife before and wanted to try somewhere different like Cyprus or Malta. Rookiemere - anywhere in particular on Tenerife you'd recommend? Been to Los Gigantes before, looking for family friendly resort away from the chavyness of the main resorts!

rookiemere Fri 24-Jun-16 17:45:56

We stay in an aparthotel www.regencycountryclub.com/ which is up in the hills a few miles up from Costa Adeje.

It's a lovely relaxing place and never seems to busy, we usually get the resort bus down to the resort and head to the Del Duque beach which is golden sand and very pleasant.

You could stay in Costa Adeje itself, if you're staying in a hotel though I'd recommend at least 4 star or failing that go for an apartment.

Some people talk very highly about the North of the island, Puerto de la Cruz is meant to be nice but we've always been a bit worried that the weather might not be as good in October when we go, also perhaps not as family oriented.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now