Amsterdam- Anne Frank House

(20 Posts)
breward Sun 19-Jun-16 14:47:01

We are off to Amsterdam at the end of August and wanted to visit The Anne Frank House.

You can book online to avoid queues but only 2 months before. Every time and date from now until 17th Aug is sold out. I went online at 6am today to see how many places were still available for the 18th Aug to find every time and date sold out again.

Has anyone had any success booking tickets online? Do I have to sit up until midnight to book a ticket? A ticket for this museum seems hotter than the Olympics or a Take That concert!!

WillowinGloves Sun 19-Jun-16 14:50:51

We have had the same problem! I plan to go when we are there and find out how early you have to start queuing, for the tickets after 3.30 which are available on the day ... it may not be worth it on a short visit, if you have to spend half a day standing in line. We're there earlier than you - if I remember, I'll post an update then.

lalafala Sun 19-Jun-16 14:54:45

We didn't realise you could book in advance so took our chances and got in the queue on the day. It was well worth it but we got there at 9.30am and still waited 3 hours! If you can't get tickets, definitely go, but be there as early as you can!

shivs1974 Sun 19-Jun-16 14:59:29

We were there during half term and all online tickets had sold out. We got there just after 5 and queued for about an hour. Definitely worth it.
Could you try booking tickets online at 11pm (ie midnight in Holland)?

breward Sun 19-Jun-16 15:07:43

Oh yes! An hour's difference.

I wonder if tour companies or touts are buying tickets in bulk.

mayhew Sun 19-Jun-16 15:26:34

I bought online but the tickets didn't arrive! However, we went and started queuing before it opened and got in within 45min.

Dakin1 Sun 19-Jun-16 15:27:42

I've been and didn't buy advance tickets. Don't remember queuing for long - can't have been more than 10 minutes or so. Went in early March so wasn't during school holidays.

ilovesooty Sun 19-Jun-16 15:30:57

Your other alternative is to queue very early in the morning. I'd still try to go on at midnight Dutch time to book.

Penvelopesnightie Sun 19-Jun-16 15:35:03

Went to Anne Frank's house end of last August and the queue was snaking up the road with at least 1000 people there . We got tickets online and were with one other family who could walk straight in .

MazzleDazzle Sun 19-Jun-16 15:39:15

We went in July. Didn't book tickets, just turned up. We did have to queue, but I don't remember the queue being that long.

Sleepyoto Sun 19-Jun-16 15:40:00

This is so weird, I got tickets a couple of weeks ago first try, for the beginning of Aug, the same day we decided to go. All time slots were gone except one which had 10 tickets available. I checked a few days before and after, and all were similar - just one slot available (not always the same time), with 5-10 tickets available in that slot. I would think it is worth checking back every now and again as it seemed as if new tickets were being made available.

emmaluvseeyore Tue 21-Jun-16 11:05:10

If possible, definitely get tickets in advance! We went in July last year and managed to get tickets online (we didn't seem to have an issue, but it wasn't school holidays). When we got there, there must've been at least 1000 people in the queue, all stood there in pouring rain. We walked straight past them all and got straight in.

breward Tue 21-Jun-16 19:00:59

Thank you. I will try my best! We are there for 3 days in Aug so I have 3 nights at the end of this week to try to get tickets - wish me luck!

Bellie99 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:35:32

Book if you can. It will be a really long queue in August!

If you don't manage to get them if you are staying in a hotel the concierge should be able to get them for you. We couldn't get tickets of the weekend we were going as we left it too late to book on line. However we talked to the concierge who managed to get us s choice of times over the space of the 3 days we were there.

olympicfan Mon 27-Jun-16 19:22:31

I have just booked for the 26th August. Tickets become available exactly 2 months in advance on office working days. The tickets for the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th August were released at 11am UK time (midday in Holland) today. Often they are released at 2.30pm UK time.

Hope this helps, no waiting up necessary, just watching the computer for the next batch of ticket releases.

Hope you got your tickets Breward.

gardeningsarah Tue 28-Jun-16 20:01:30

we managed to book timed tickets on the day by going to the tourist office at the central station. It does get busy there so I guess you would have to go early. Also I guess there is no guarantee that they will even have tickets.

Good luck, definitely worth visiting.

BerylStreep Tue 28-Jun-16 20:05:14

We've been three times to Amsterdam and never made it to the Anne Frank house as the queues have been so long. I never knew you could book online.

jonsnowswildlinglover Fri 01-Jul-16 17:41:03

I'm pretty sure Anne Frank's Huis hold back some tickets and release them the day before. So if you haven't already booked, you could always check the day before you are due to visit. And just to let you know that the house is not suitable for pushchairs and the stairs are so steep- I never realised! Hope you get to visit, I've been three times, such an incredible place.

WillowinGloves Thu 04-Aug-16 17:01:52

breward if you see this ... don't know if you managed to get tickets online, but we've just got back from Amsterdam and did get to see the house. The pre-booked tickets run till 3.30 but the house stays open till 9.30. We found that queueing at 6pm worked well - we queued for 1 hour 10 but the queue moved along continually which is always encouraging! When we walked by a couple of days later around 4pm the queue was about twice the length so going later is definitely worthwhile. The queue goes along the canal for a short distance, then turns at 90 degrees - we joined just before it turned again at the end of the square (this will make sense if you see the queue!) and from there it takes just over an hour so you can judge whether it's worth it. The house itself was fabulous - we spent over two hours there, though my DD does tend to take ages studying everything! Hope you get to see it.

Wolpertinger Thu 04-Aug-16 17:08:08

Amsterdam is busy! Anything you can book online you should - if you want to go to the Van Gogh Museum the queues for that are hours long so book that ahead as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now