costa adeje or gigantes or somewhere else on tenerife

(31 Posts)
dreamingofsun Wed 15-Jun-16 20:13:55

Hi, going to tenerife for the first time. gigantes and adeje both look nice - what are the pros and cons of both, or is somewhere else better? Its in the winter, so needs to be south due to the weather. We like pollensa, playa blanca, peurto del carmen type resorts....definately no night clubs and not too much tat. thanks

rookiemere Wed 15-Jun-16 22:04:28

We've stayed near Costa Adele a number of times. I really like it - nice family resort, lots of restaurants to pick from, fun activities on the promenade, I'd highly recommend it.

We visited our friends who were staying in Los Gigantes, I must say I wasn't as keen, didn't seem to be as upmarket or as much to do, but we were only there for a short while so I could be wrong.

We go in October and weather ( touch wood) has always been good, couple of rain showers usually, but short lived.

concertplayer Thu 16-Jun-16 07:49:00

I much prefer Lanzarote or Fuerteventura To Teneriffe.
Los G or Costa Ad are a good choice because Las Americas is hotter but full but full of tack -in places
Los G has a nice little harbour but C Ad has better beaches.
Puerto de La Cruz whilst less tacky and really lovely tends to get cloud y as near MT Teide.

dreamingofsun Thu 16-Jun-16 10:19:34

thanks for replies so far. i've enquired about one in el duque area of adeje, as that seems to be nice? concert - we've been to lanzarote loads and agree its nice, but we fancied a change and we can't get local flights to fuerteventura so thats out.

Branleuse Thu 16-Jun-16 10:34:08

the north isnt a lot different to the south in weather, but it is a lot different in terms of tourism and tack.

Have a look round garachico

rookiemere Fri 17-Jun-16 13:28:08

Del Duque is a lovely area with a really nice beach and exclusive feel, nice ice cream parlour too.
What hotel are you looking at?

dreamingofsun Fri 17-Jun-16 15:47:22

looking at apartments rookie. trouble is husband and i have different requirements! I'm guessing that colleta is OK - it sounds OK and looks like we can walk along the front to del duque?

rookiemere Fri 17-Jun-16 16:05:02

La Caleta is nice - it's about a 10- 15 minute walk to the Del Duque beach, the La Caleta beach is a stony one, but good if anyone wants to do any wind surfing or body boarding.

There are some nice genuine fish restaurants at La Caleta which we like - DS less so even though they have pizza. There isn't much else there, not a huge amount of shops or things to do, but it's a very popular family destination.

As you're going in the winter I'd warn you to make sure wherever you're going has a heated pool. We go in the October break and we tried an apartment near the Del Duque beach which had a wonderful location, but the pool was freezing and took a real effort of will to go into.

dreamingofsun Fri 17-Jun-16 16:16:53

thanks rookie. sounds as if it will suit us. doesn't have a pool - we normally go to lanzarote for a week in the winter so know what you mean about need for heating.

rookiemere Fri 17-Jun-16 16:31:17

Sounds good. We've had a couple of nice meals in the Piscis restaurant at the harbour front. There is also a sushi bar that gets very good reviews that we have never managed to go to ( non sushi eating DS not a great help on that front either). Enjoy.

dreamingofsun Fri 17-Jun-16 18:19:15

thanks rookie - think i'm with DS on pitza rather than sushi...but after much discussion and negotiation with DH feel happy now, backed up by your comments.

specialsubject Fri 17-Jun-16 19:21:41

With a great big mountain in the middle, there certainly is a climate difference between the north and south of Tenerife.

The south is all new build but the places you are looking at are perfectly pleasant. As is the sea for swimming, lovely clean ocean.

IPityThePontipines Fri 17-Jun-16 19:25:09

If you fancy somewhere a bit smaller, El Medano is really nice and laid back. It is just east of the airport, so is very easy to get to.

I would agree with generally preferring the north side, though.

Dowser Sat 18-Jun-16 13:19:18

La caleta a bit quiet for me. I like the buzz and hum in las Americas / Los cris.
There's a nice beach/ wild beach near that Mexican looking hotel in las Americas.

We stay not far from there and walk into Los cris everyday or up to puerto de colon.

Dowser Sat 18-Jun-16 13:21:35

Villa Cortes...that's it. Nice round there and they've beautified the main route through and very nice it looks.

Dowser Sat 18-Jun-16 13:28:00

Here it is

www.google.co.uk/search?q=main+road+through+playa+de+las+americas+villacortes&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1_JLayLHNAhWCIJoKHSz7AosQ_AUICigC&biw=768&bih=928#imgrc=qzERkAXYnj8gRM%3A

Surfing and body boarding on the beach nearby

Dowser Sat 18-Jun-16 13:31:47

We like the el camison area of playa de las Americas. There's some apartments up there like the mar ola park apartmentos

Plenty of nice restaurants. Ten mins from beach and about 5 from a super mercado with a proper fish counter.
You couldn't pay me enough to stay in la caleta....but that's just me and we don't go nightclubbing or drink till we're leg less.

We go for 3-4 weeks and like to live like the locals.

CottonSock Sat 18-Jun-16 13:35:23

We found Los gigantes quite isolated but they were building a big new motorway which would change things. I was not massively impressed tbh. We stayed at the sensatori resort which was nice (except dh got food poisoning).

Dowser Sat 18-Jun-16 13:42:44

www.alpharooms.com/marola_portosin_apartments_in_playa_de_las_americas.aspx

Whoops. Forgot the link. You're on a bus route and the buses are good. You can go to las Galletas on the bus. Nice little bay, a marina, a pier with a couple of restaurants. You can get a bus to Los cris, walk to it along the beach, we found a nice Lebanese restaurant on the top road at san Telmo. We like the herbalario in Los cris and on good terms with the Italian owner. We love the little cafe at the end of the San Telmo road. A slice of pizza, a wrap , or a little quiche plus salad, a cake of your choice and they're all gorgeous, a drink for € 6-50.

We come out of our apartment and then break into a sprint for that. The waitress nearly saw a grown woman cry when we got there one day and my favourite cake was....all gone!
Lol!
Or there's the little ( very popular) fish restaurant, just off the beach, up the alley..el cine. We have sword fish. It's huge. You could sole your boots with it.

Or you can just sit in the square outside the church in Los cris early evening and watch the little ones come out to play and if it's not too late and you fancy a cuppa take a stroll up the main road to the English bakery....croquant. Cakes, pies, bread and pasties to die for

Then down to the beach to watch the ferries come in for the night and the sunset over the water.....

Oh and you don't want to go into that little German restaurant that's tucked away ....that does lovely food.........

Roll on October!

GertyTheGert Sat 18-Jun-16 13:57:30

Gigantes not great. Costa Adeje - rather nice - and you can walk to El Duque beach in @ 15 mins if you stay near Guayarmina Princess Hotel. Adeje has about 4 beaches too. Duque did have a 6 star hotel (not been there 5 yrs....) so if you stay actually in Adeje, a 20 min walk meas you can it on the same beach as the 6-star-ers!!!

GertyTheGert Sat 18-Jun-16 13:58:57

sorry I was supposed to say : @ 20 min walk means you can sit on the same beach!!!!!

dreamingofsun Sat 18-Jun-16 14:29:41

thanks everyone for your help. we've gone for caleta (in part because we found a suitable apart there and DH wants a view of the sea). Sounds as if we are pretty near the action and i'm guessing that taxi's are as cheap as lanzarote.

north tenerife sounds interesting, so i'm saving that up for another year, maybe for our 2 week holiday in sept/oct when the weather is a bit better.

specialsubject Sat 18-Jun-16 14:54:12

sounds lovely - I've not stayed in La Caleta but it looks great, plenty of good walking, enough choice of places to eat and away from the airport. Anywhere in this bit gets wonderful sunsets.

don't miss a trip to the national park.

dreamingofsun Sat 18-Jun-16 17:21:45

thanks special. whats the best way to get to the national park? In lanzarote we did a coach trip (in part because we didn't have a hire car that year) and the coaches got priority in the volanic park aea and could go through the whole thing. Is that the same with tenerife or should i encourage DH to get a hire car (taxis are less stressful)? i so like going somewhere warm in March!

rookiemere Sat 18-Jun-16 19:45:29

Dreaming - we always hire a car when we go as a taxi to where we stay costs about 25 euros each way whereas a car costs around 100 euros for a week from Autoreisen, who I'd highly recommend. However police have gone parking ticket crazy and last year our car got ticketed once and impounded as well ( DH dealt with it all and luckily not as expensive as here) so don't hire a car unless you have a parking space at your apartment.

It looks as if there is a bus that goes from La Caleta though, so should be easy to visit Mount Teide that way should you wish www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187479-c132867/Tenerife:Spain:Day.Trip.To.Mount.Teide.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now