Child free break suggestions, somewhere hot preferably

(14 Posts)
rococopops Mon 30-May-16 16:14:32

Hello mumsnetters. DH and I have a child free week at the end of July. We haven't been away since our honeymoon. Can anyone suggest somewhere hot, picturesque but preferably with a beach? We are not resorty people at all and would be nice if there weren't loads of families around to make me feel bad for not missing them ;) thinking Italy or Greece but don't know where to start and would welcome suggestions?

pod100 Mon 30-May-16 16:16:05

Barcelona!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 30-May-16 16:34:32

Nice, Lisbon (or Cascais)

SealSong Mon 30-May-16 17:41:22

Barcelona is fantastic if you want all the city culture side of things too...stay in the Born or Barcelonetta districts of the city then you have both the old town and the beach close by plus awesome bars etc.

If not Barcelona, if you don't want the city side of things, I'd suggest Essaouira in Morocco if you're feeling adventurous. Beautiful coastal town, bit more relaxed than the likes of Marrakech but still with souks, beautiful riads and various things to do. It has a big beach which is great but I'd restrict my sunbathing to the riad terrace / hotel pool.

rococopops Mon 30-May-16 17:44:15

Thank you these are all good keep them coming.

hollieberrie Mon 30-May-16 17:50:45

I am in Kefalonia Greece right now and it's lovely. It's may half term but there are only a handful of kids.

I always go away with Ionian Island holidays - they are very good & everything is naice iyswim wink
We just booked last week to get a good last minute deal - the prices go down a lot in the weeks before.
Have a fab hol wherever you decide to go

Drinksforeveryone Mon 30-May-16 18:10:50

How about a couple of cities in Spain.

Madrid is my absolute favourite- but a week in a city might be too much. But you could fly in Madrid and spend a few days - then take the train to Valencia - and fly back from there ?

rococopops Mon 30-May-16 18:26:35

Thank you all, hollieberrie, love the sound of Kefalonia, annoyingly DH has been to Spain a fair bit, he suggested Amsterdam hmm which I am hoping was only meant half seriously, don't get me wrong it's a beautiful city just really yearning for lying in the sun on our first child free break for 11 years!!!!

Noofly Mon 30-May-16 19:11:25

Well, the first child free holiday DH and I are going to take is to the Amalfi coast, to Positano. I even have the hotel picked out even though it is likely at least 7 years away. grin

You could also consider Dalyan in Turkey if you aren't put off by Turkey. It is a smallish town on the river- you take a boat or a bus to an incredibly stunning beach. Turtles nest there and it is protected from the tourist sprawl. There is no building on the beach. There's loads to do (or nothing if you prefer)- fantastic day trips run by a lovely guy called Volkan at Volkan's Adventures (we did one to the Akkaya Valley last year where we took a boat down a river and then had swimming. The scenery was like something out of Indiana Jones and pur group of 12 were the only ones there), or you can spend the day on a wooden sailing gulet in Goeck.

Fantastic place!

FanSpamTastic Mon 30-May-16 19:14:24

Venice - not beachy but lots of sun terraces. Don't know what it is like in July - we went in May.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 30-May-16 19:19:35

You can go to Venice lido by water taxi for the beach

Makemineacabsauv Mon 30-May-16 23:14:07

Was also going to suggest Venice! Skiathos, skopelos or Alonissos or any Greek Island/mainland resort. There are quiey adult friendly (not THAT adult friendly shock places on every island/ mainland region. Try San Stefano's on Corfu or Sissi - or any part of southern or western Crete.

rococopops Tue 31-May-16 18:47:44

Thanks everyone, will report back when it's booked

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Tue 31-May-16 18:59:45

I can second Kefalonia which I love. Lassi is the touristy resort, Fiskardo is the more elegant one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now