city breaks with dc

(24 Posts)
theendoftheshowshow Sat 28-May-16 09:38:11

I'm looking for some ideas of city breaks to do with our dc, DD is 11 and DS 8.

So far we have done Belfast, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Bruge, Cologne and Bergen with them.

I have Barcelona lined up, but would love some other ideas - thank you!

GettingScaredNow Sat 28-May-16 09:41:15

I love bruge. One of my favourite places.
Not sure I would have liked it so much as a child though.
There isn't really that much for them to do.

rainbowjoy Sat 28-May-16 09:47:56

I did a city break with my ds15 to Athens in April and we really enjoyed it. Central hotel all sites within walking distance although we also bought a hop on hop off bus ticket. The Acropolis and museums are all free for under 18s. Food was very cheap. Good bus service from airport to city and excellent transport in the city, buses, metro, trams. Would recommend it.

DonkeyHotay Sat 28-May-16 09:52:42

I was going to suggest Copenhagen. I went with my friend but would love to go back with DH and DS. I like Athens, it was very busy but lots to do. DS would LOVE to go to NYC . I've been a few times and think there's lots to do with DC.

Dozer Sat 28-May-16 09:54:10

Budapest: good value accommodation and food and amazing swimming pools!

LadyPenelope68 Sat 28-May-16 09:57:20

Rome is a good one with children, led of interesting stuff, amazing place!

theendoftheshowshow Sat 28-May-16 09:58:23

Yes NYC would be great, have been a few times myself. I always imagined doing it as part of a longer trip though, than a city break. Will look into prices, as they would love it.

Hadn't even thought if Athens will take a look. I try to find places, where there is things we will all enjoy. We try to have a no grumbling rule, as we all like quite different things, but make sure that everyone gets to do/see what they want to!

SuperFlyHigh Sat 28-May-16 09:58:50

Dublin can be nice as lots to do and easy to walk around but not warm! Love Copenhagen, Barcelona etc.

Any other cities I know I wouldn't take as too much for kids eg Paris etc.

Have you looked at Lisbon maybe?

Dozer Sat 28-May-16 09:59:54

Copenhagen was freezing cold!

theendoftheshowshow Sat 28-May-16 10:00:01

Will add Budapest/Rome on my list to research today too - thank you.

There is so many great places to see, but i like to get recommendations from people that have been with dc! As going with them is very different to travelling solo!

SuperFlyHigh Sat 28-May-16 10:00:03

NYC great but depends how kids cope with jetlag. And if you want to do it with subways rather than yellow taxis then be warned, I've done this with NYC mom and her 2 girls under 10 and we had panic attacks getting on and off subways and losing girls!

Haggisfish Sat 28-May-16 10:00:19

Edinburgh.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 28-May-16 10:01:23

How about Oslo/Stockholm? Friends of mine have had fun with kids in Sweden countryside but also a day or 2 in Stcokholm.

theendoftheshowshow Sat 28-May-16 10:01:50

whispers * i don't like Paris* not sure why, I know so many people rave about it, but I don't get it.

The dc can go when they are paying!

SuperFlyHigh Sat 28-May-16 10:06:52

OP - Paris was great recently with my American friends and their 2 DD (13 and 15) but their dad made them walk almost all day solid!

I've been about 6 times and met up with them at Easter but it was fun but he had them on lots (too much) art galleries.

They loved Pompidou Centre, Jewish quarter for falafels, just wandering round, parks, seine river trip, Eiffel Tower at night trip. But they didn't take them to Euro Disney.

mummymeister Sat 28-May-16 11:45:15

We have done Athens, Rome, Barcelona and Cardiff. all very enjoyable. we stay in apartments rather than hotels unless we can find a really good deal with the hotels.

Noofly Sat 28-May-16 21:15:32

Marrakech. We took DS and DD there last year when they were 10 & 13. Stay in a riad in the medina rather than a resort on the outskirts. If it gets too much for you, you can go on a day trip to the Atlas Mountains.

We went to NYC this April and everyone had a great time. It was so, so cold though. Biting wind- we were unlucky!

Noofly Sat 28-May-16 21:16:18

I lie. They were 9 & 12 in Marrakech.

defineme Sat 28-May-16 21:19:26

Rome is fab...walkable, inexpensive, lots of stuff you can watch before hand to get them interested and ice creams to keep them going.

Misty9 Sat 28-May-16 23:24:42

Valencia. Beach and city sights and loads to see/do. We're off there in a couple of weeks with dc under 5.

dottygamekeeper Sat 28-May-16 23:32:17

Berlin (although maybe better when they are a bit older) - we had a great time there last summer. We did Barcelona a couple of years, and that was fabulous. I would also second Stockholm and Edinburgh.

Another vote for Berlin.

AvonCallingBarksdale Sun 29-May-16 20:15:41

We had a fabulous time in Madrid - the DC were 8 and 10. Edinburgh also brilliant. Love a city break!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sun 29-May-16 20:18:55

Edinburgh is brilliant for kids. I've been to Madrid with adults and agree, kids would love it. Also Malaga - it's one of my favourite cities and I'm always surprised that so many people don't think of it for city breaks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now