Thomson Cruises -am I insane to even consider?

(10 Posts)
SpaceDinosaur Tue 24-May-16 08:18:27

DH and I have about £600 in Thomson vouchers. We had a bad experience with them on our honeymoon (despite years of great holidays)

So we are tied to a Thomson hol this year.

I'm also pregnant so don't want to travel too far. I'll be around 20 weeks when we're looking to go away.

I've seen a Thomson cruise up the Croatian coast to Venice. It visits places I want to visit.
I have never Cruised before

Has anyone cruised with Thomson? Are they any good?

Advice would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Dowser Tue 24-May-16 12:20:27

I want to go to Venice. I'll keep checking in.

You might get more traffic on trip advisor

dingit Tue 24-May-16 12:36:57

We did the Adriatic cruise on the majesty two years ago. It's one of the best holidays we have ever had. The itinerary is fantastic, I would do it again in a heartbeat, sailing out of Venice with the entertainers singing operetta was unforgettable. The ship isn't state of the art modern, but is comfortable with friendly staff, good food and great entertainment. Pm me if you want to know anything else.

SpaceDinosaur Tue 24-May-16 13:43:57

Thank you both!

Philoslothy Tue 24-May-16 13:47:44

We cruise a lot with Royal Caribbean and I have cruised pregnant too. I went on one Thompson Cruise and didn't enjoy it. It depends why you are on the cruise, if it is just about destinations Thompson is OK. If you want formal nights, decent food and drink and entertainment it may not be your thing.

SpaceDinosaur Tue 24-May-16 16:31:05

I'm more about the destinations.

Also, if it's my first cruise then I have nothing to compare it to.

In what way were you disappointed?

Philoslothy Tue 24-May-16 16:43:15

If you are more about the destinations and have no comparison it will be fine.

I found the boat small,the food OK but limited and missed the formality. For that is not your thing it is no problem

dingit Tue 24-May-16 17:11:40

Yes the ship is small and there is one formal night. I haven't been on any other cruise line though! Looking at Royal Caribbean next year.

Orac Wed 25-May-16 19:00:16

I had never cruised before but was looking for something different to appeal to two older teenagers who have never done much sightseeing. Went on a Thomson Med cruise.
One of the things that always put me off cruises (and still does) is the snobbery. The formal dining and dressing up. The tipping culture.
None of that on the Thomson one. There was one formal night but it wasn't compulsory. Okay it wasn't the largest luxury liner in port, but it was relaxing and friendly. The DC loved all the places we visited and would definitely do it again.

Philoslothy Wed 25-May-16 23:21:14

We use Royal Caribbean because they have so much on board for teenagers as well as younger children. We are about as far removed from being snobs as it is possible to get. We do love dressing up for a formal night though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now