where in Menorca???

(8 Posts)
Bobcat15 Thu 19-May-16 17:27:08

I need some help shortlisting a specific area to stay in Menorca please! We'll be travelling late September so not sure if the north or south coastline is better weather-wise at that time of year? Our party consists of me, DH, DC's (ages 4 and 18 months), my mum and the IL's who are all fairly mobile. We'll be hiring a villa but not a car so want to be in walking distance of shops, restaurants and preferably beach. We therefore need to identify a resort to go rather than off the beaten track but we're really not keen on being near big hotels, 'English resorts if we can help it. Any suggestions? I've found villas that fit our criteria in Cala Morell, Binibeca, Punta Prima, Arenal d'en Castell and Son Bou - I just don't know which area to plump for or if there's anywhere else I should focus on. Thanks in advance!

Lolly12 Mon 30-May-16 20:17:11

We stayed in Arenal d'en Castel last June and it was really nice. Beach was great for the kids (2 and 4 then) and there was a decent selection of restaurants which all catered for children. It's quite hilly and there is a large hotel at one end of the beach, so depending on location of villa could be an issue, but I'd certainly go back.

Never been to any of the other places you mention so can't really compare or comment.

SnoopDoggyDogg Mon 30-May-16 20:23:47

We've stayed in villas in Cala en Forcat and Cala en Porter and both were lovely and walking distance of restaurants, local supermarkets and beach.

grumpysquash3 Mon 06-Jun-16 00:33:18

We stayed in Binibeca which was really lovely, but you might find it too isolated without a car. The town beach is very small compared to other places (but the restaurants are great).
I think Arenal or Son Bou have more facilities and are bigger places that might be more suitable.

busyboysmum Wed 08-Jun-16 14:01:16

We love Cuitadella so always stay in Cala Blanca which is a tiny resort but 5 minutes drive away. But we always hire a car. Gala Galdana is a gorgeous resort.

Bellebelle Wed 08-Jun-16 21:20:37

We've been all over Menorca and Cala Galdana is always my recommendation, the most beautiful beach, enough restaurants but not too busy and easy bus ride to Cituadella if you want to venture further but don't have a car (we tend to get a bus there and taxi back)

Juanbablo Thu 09-Jun-16 07:27:42

We are staying in Cala en Bosch at the moment and it is really nice but I prefer Cala en Porter.

budgiegirl Sat 18-Jun-16 18:58:15

Son Bou is nice (I'm going tomorrow and can't wait!). Lots of lovely villas on a hillside giving great views. Wonderful beach with watersports and a floating inflatable obstacle course, beach bars etc. Several restaurants and shops in it's town centre (although that's a bit of an eyesore IMHO).

My very favourite place on the island is Playas de Fornells on the north of the island, its very pretty and near to Fornells fishing village which is picturesque and has lovely restaurants. But you might find it a bit too quiet, depending on what you like to do on holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now