Germany

(5 Posts)
Drinksforeveryone Tue 17-May-16 10:54:35

DH mentioned that he would like to go to Germany. Either flying or I guess we could drive (Hull to Zeebrugge ferry ? )

I know very little about Germany . Went on a school trip inthe early 80s to Koblenz. Very pretty place - but that's all I remember, I was 14! Also took a short break with XH to visit family member but that wasn't in a particularly touristy/scenic area.

Anyone recommend a must see town/village? I think if we do go it will be late Sept/early October. Or if not then will do it next Spring/Summer.

We usually go to France (by car) or Spain (by plane) for longer hols and city breaks so wouldn't mind having a look at somewhere else.

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 17-May-16 11:05:12

I love Germany - Really want to go back to Berlin, as I enjoyed it and found it such a fascinating city when I was 17, but children aren't old enough to appreciate it yet. The Black Forest is a beautiful area. Cologne is a great city too, breathtaking gothic cathedral and beautiful old town. Depends what you want out of your holiday.

Archfarchnad Tue 17-May-16 11:16:27

Well, it's a big and very diverse place, so it depends enormously on what you want to find and where your interests lie. How much do you want to go along with the stereotypes of 'Germanness' (and put up with the fact that you're sharing the experience with a million Americans and Japanese), how much do you want to see how people really live these days (in Berlin the answer is: not many dirndls in sight)?

At that time of year I think I'd grab the opportunity to be around during the Oktoberfest in Munich (which I think is held in late September). You'd absolutely need to book accommodation as soon as possible though (the place will be heaving), and put up with inflated prices. After a few days in Munich you could move southwards to one of the smaller towns like Garmisch-Partenkirchen and make a few day trips to the classical tourist destinations like Neuschwanstein (which is THE cutesy fairy-tale palace) and Oberammergau. I'd say that's pretty much Germany as people think it ought to be, and the traditional image Germany like to project of itself. Possibly a good introduction, then next time you could ring the changes by going to Berlin and actually having some fun.

Drinksforeveryone Tue 17-May-16 11:28:17

Thanks for the prompt replies!

Yes, I know it's a large country - but I do know very little about it really.

I'll have a thorough read through of the places you both suggest later - with a map and see what we can come up with .

So many places to see - and not enough time!

noramum Sun 22-May-16 15:58:50

What kind of holiday do you think you want to do?

Seaside

Lakes

Mountains

mid-range mountain

lots of interesting towns

Do you want to stay in one area or explore a larger region?

I come from the North-West, near the Dutch border and DH is from Hamburg. We both lived in Northern Bavaria for years as well and travelled in various areas with DD. So it really depends what you expect to do and what kind of region you like or dislike.

If you go September or October and like to drink wine a wine region could be an option. Lots of wine to try. Palantine (Pfalz) is nice, not far from the French area of Alsace, you can basically do both together. Or Wuerzburg in northern Bavaria, that is good as well.

Do you go with children or without?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now