Next luggage after Trunki?

(8 Posts)
Cat111 Wed 11-May-16 17:30:50

Hi everybody

We have successfully used a Trunki for both of my boys for the past few years but my eldest is about to turn 6 and is now a bit big for his – not to mention a bit of a hazard if moving at speed through an airport on it! Can anybody suggest a good 'next step' hand luggage option for a child of this age. Is a small pull-along the best thing or is a small back pack better?

Thank you!

Cat

islandmummy Wed 11-May-16 17:51:25

We got my son the R2D2 version of this last year when he was 6 and he loved it! Got many an admiring glance from fully-grown men going through the airports too ;-)

www.disneystore.co.uk/bb-8-trolley-case-star-wars-the-force-awakens/mp/86988/1500013/?searchTerm=BB-8+Trolley+Case%2C+Star+Wars%3A+The+Force+Awakens&typeAhead=1

We opted for trolley cases for the kids, as I didn't think they'd last long carrying their stuff, whereas I changed mine and my husband's carry-on luggage to rucksacks that had a pull-out handle and wheels option too - so when all was well, we could wheel them along, but if needed we could wear them as rucksacks and pull kids' trolley cases along for them.

keely79 Wed 11-May-16 17:54:33

My DD(6) has one of the Skip Hop Zoo trolley bags - she loves it and will happily pull it through the airport. It also has a strap so you can sling it over your shoulder if they do give up... They're very light - she's had hers a couple of years and has lasted really well.

Example:

www.amazon.co.uk/Skip-Hop-Zoo-Luggage-Ladybug/dp/B007R663ZQ

Cat111 Thu 12-May-16 00:06:27

Completely love the Star Wars bag... but according to the dimensions it doesn't comply with Ryanair hand baggage and I don't want to fall foul of that if Ryanair is the only airline that flies certain routes we want to take. The Skip Hop Zoo options look good – or also now eyeing Littlelife wheelie bags.

Thank you for the advice!

Cat

noramum Thu 12-May-16 11:33:12

It depends. If we go for a two weeks holiday we each have a suitcase in the hold and each of us has a backpack.

DD has a Vaude one
www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Backpacks/Children-s-Backpacks/Puck-10-salsa-red.html

It is big enough to hold A4 books, has side pockets, a pocket in the flap and a chest belt so it is not permanently falling of her shoulders. She takes it for day trips as well.

She got it when she was 5 and it lasted now 4 years and still fits her.

If we go for a long weekend/short trip she uses this:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WE6ADIW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits enough clothes to last a couple of days plus toileteries and books. It closes with a zip on top which means it is easy accessible even in a plane.

It is a lot more expensive but Kipling lasts. I still use the changing bag I got 9 years ago as it is handy if we go swimming. DD got the suitcase with the restriction that DH and I can also take it when we have to go overnight on business.

We went for the non-cutie/no character versions as we think they last long and she is actually outgrowing Disney etc anyway.

Fourormore Thu 12-May-16 11:40:10

Jurni is made by the Trunki people. Says it's designed as hand luggage but can be checked in as well.

www.myjurni.co.uk/products/jurni-suitcase?variant=9105710213

Cat111 Wed 18-May-16 20:08:46

The Jurni looks brilliant! Thank you everybody as they are all great suggestions!

Hersetta427 Thu 19-May-16 08:11:25

DD has this from age 5 www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Spotty-Trolley-backpack/dp/B00N4S4786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463641443&sr=8-1&keywords=cabin+max+kids

and DS (4) has this driffyluggage.uk/product/luggo-robot-childrens-suitcase-light-up-wheels-and-backpack-straps-ideal-kids-travel-bag He gets so much attention with it as the wheels light up when it is pulled. He loves it (although it doesn't hold very much - mostly just used to carry his toys and soft toy for holiday.

He however has his eye of this www.amazon.co.uk/Fenza-Racing-Trolley-Carry-53x34x20cm/dp/B00ORLWR18/ref=pd_cp_200_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=DQG6975X6RWKCT909Z5J after seeing it at an airport recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now