First Holiday with 14month old

(6 Posts)
sattilaura87 Wed 04-May-16 09:28:41

We are going to Portugal in three weeks with our 14 month old son. This will be our first holiday abroad and i am a little anxious about it. My first concern is the flight, we recently got an email from our airline to say they had moved me and my son so we will be sat alone grin How will i handle a wriggling baby alone with no room to move? Also he is a NIGHTMARE to change especially out and about, he will literally scream bloody murder and not lie still so how on earth am i ment to change him in that tiny toilet?
My other concern is he having to be in his buggy alot. At home we just put him down and he roams about. but the hotel is all marble? any advice on how to handle the beach? im thinking maybe a little paddling pool? im sure he will be climbing in and out but should keep him entertained for alittle bit?
My partner is also stressing about a car seat? im not so worried as we can get a taxi to the airport were a seat will be provided, and we have a coach transfer so the seatbelts wont even fit a car seat? we have seen portable car seats online?
Any advise at all on how to handle the week would be much appreciated

specialsubject Sat 07-May-16 16:07:46

Its a short flight from theuk, so unless he really blows you can probably get away without changing on the plane. If he does scream, so what?

He can walk on marble. The beach is fine with supervision. Coach transfers abroad meaan no car seats. Its just how it is really, coaches are much safer than cars.

PutAPlasterOn Sat 07-May-16 16:18:59

You'll be surprised how easy the flight is. We did long haul with a 15 month old. They don't expect kids to sit still and silent. As long as aisle is free you can have a little wonder. He actually slept really well too which I was surprised with. Fell asleep on take off.

We bought a little inflatable boat to use as a paddling pool. Fill from pool and let it sit in sun to warm up a bit.

Also, I packed way too many clothes. He spend most of his time in just a nappy.

Have a lovely holiday smile

Artistic Sat 07-May-16 16:35:20

Ha ha! We had this situation last summer & has to do a nappy change in the flight toilet!! And we were interrupted by a long spell of turbulence!! confused

Car seat is probably a good idea, we struggled with taxi companies not wanting to provide one.

Hotels are ok, usually vast spaces so not too dangerous, but you will have to be with him every moment. We found the McLaren very useful within the resort as DD could sleep when she needed and we could continue our activities.

Overall it's quite relaxed and you won't need to worry much. Stock up on iPad rhymes/peppa for the flight.

CaurnieBred Sun 15-May-16 21:44:55

we booked private transfer the first time we took DD away which solved the problem with car seat (we didn't have isofix). Take pouring toys with you - plastic tea set for example, or stacking cups.

We would all go back to the room after an early lunch and have a siesta.

BabyGanoush Sun 15-May-16 22:05:03

Don't do it! Maybe I am projecting but I remember being in an amazing hotel withmy screaming tot and when he was finally asleep DH and I just sat in the tiny windowless bathroom with a bottle of wine from the minibar and our books confused at 7pm eating crackers (as restaurant did not open until 8pm and tot was screaming mess way before then.)

Also had dinner alone (taking turns with DH)

Most people have easiergoing kids than we did though. If he'll sleep in the buggy whilst you eat, and naps happily in hotel rooms so isn't in need of early bed you're laughing!

(We were not, but it was all character building grin)

In terms of advice: go somewhere that offers food all day round (not just dinner AFTER 8 😱🍷), bring small toys and distractions, bring MIL grin or get babysitting service.... Bring a book and bring patience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now