Pompeii and Rome in same short break ?

(13 Posts)
traceyinrosso70 Sat 23-Apr-16 17:33:12

My DD and I have always wanted to go to Rome but I fancy seeing Pompeii too. Thinking of a 4 night break and can't decide whether to stay in Sorrento and do Pompeii from there or whether to stay in Rome or if it's possible to do both in one trip without it being totally exhausting !! Any help gratefully received !! TIA

NicknameUsed Sat 23-Apr-16 17:50:15

I wouldn't. There is so much to see and do in Rome I would do one place properly and see the other one on a separate trip. DD and I went to Rome for 4 nights in October and we didn't see and do everything.

LIZS Sat 23-Apr-16 17:52:56

You can do a day trip to Pompeii from Rome but I doubt you get to spend long enough there to see even half of it. You can easily spend 4 days in Rome.

traceyinrosso70 Sat 23-Apr-16 18:10:33

Thank you - I suspected that was the case. Any suggestions as what are the "must do" things in Rome and the best way to travel ? Is it worth buying the Roma pass ?

NicknameUsed Sat 23-Apr-16 18:22:17

We just used the metro and walked.
Unmissables IMO:
the Pantheon
Palatine Hill and the Forum
the Colosseum
the Vatican

I prebooked the Vatican online to avoid the queues and booked a tour that took in the Colosseum, which also avoided the queues. We also visited several churches (which are free), the Trevi fountain (being repaired at the time) the Spanish Steps (also being repaired) and Il Vittoriano. I feel that we only scratched the surface of what Rome has to offer and would happily go back.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sat 23-Apr-16 18:27:47

I did both in 5 days and it was fine. Stayed in Rome for two days then went to Naples overnight and spent the day at Pompeii. Then back to Rome for two more nights.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sat 23-Apr-16 18:28:12

It is worth it!

traceyinrosso70 Sun 24-Apr-16 20:29:46

NuggetofPurestGreen can I ask how easy it is to get to Pompeii from Naples ? Is it easier than staying in Sorrento ? Still would like to do Rome and Pompeii if it's practical !

Greenteandchives Sun 24-Apr-16 20:37:39

The Circumvesuviana railway runs frequently and cheaply between Naples and Sorrento. It has stops at Pompeii and Herculaneum. HTH.

HermioneWeasley Sun 24-Apr-16 20:38:57

You can do 4 nights just in Rome.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 24-Apr-16 20:40:11

As far as I can remember it was quite a short train trip. We got the train from Rome to Naples which was a couple of hours, stashed our luggage at train station and went to Naples. Then came back to Naples and stayed overnight.

I know lots of people don't like Naples so Sorrento may be nicer but we weren't there for long so weren't bothered. And I did like Naples.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 24-Apr-16 20:41:13

You could easily spend 4 nights in Rome but Pompeii is great so I preferred to squeeze it in.

Heroina Sun 24-Apr-16 20:44:24

Fly to Naples, bus to Naples, stay in Portici (fabric hostel has some private rooms) walk to Herculaneum, (better than Pompeii, but not as iconic) either by circumversuviana, evening pizza in central naples, train direct to Rome,(takes a tiny amount of time ) then do Rome. Personally I would spend longer in Naples as I LOVE it, oh and get an espresso in Naples. Its better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now