How much luggage do we need for a week in Majorca for a family of 4?

(18 Posts)
millimat Sat 23-Apr-16 08:09:39

2 children aged 9. Booking through easyJet and trying to keep the cost down. We will all use our cabin allowance as much as possible and wear many layers, so how many bags in the hold would you book?

sassytheFIRST Sat 23-Apr-16 08:16:53

We take 2 hold cases. The children get vast majority of their stuff into cabin-allowed suitcases, it's shoes and beach towels that take up space. Wear trainers and a light jacket (denim type), pack 1 pair smart shoes and 1 pair flip flops each.

millimat Sat 23-Apr-16 08:40:16

DH says we only need one?!

QuiteLikely5 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:42:03

Does your hotel have a mini laundry?

I would take only four outfits each and then put in a wash on the third day

millimat Sat 23-Apr-16 10:30:14

Yes I'm happy to wash things while away.

No1HolidayPlanner Sat 23-Apr-16 12:17:14

For 2 adults and 2 kids we take a cabin bag each plus 2 in hold.smile

Janek Sun 24-Apr-16 09:11:24

We wouldn't book any hold luggage! Obviously this would mean we couldn't take sunscreen with us. We have three of these rucksacks. You can fit loads in them. We are also two adults, two children.

NorbertDentressangle Sun 24-Apr-16 09:18:51

We did 10 days in August (2 adults and 2 children) with one piece of hold luggage and it was plenty.

We had a washing machine in the apartment and things dried in no time.

millimat Sun 24-Apr-16 15:30:05

janet and norbert thank you I feel a lot better now.
I think the cabin baggage is strange. We could buy all of our sun cream and other toiletries in boys once through security!

millimat Sun 24-Apr-16 15:31:33

Boots not boys!

NorbertDentressangle Sun 24-Apr-16 15:38:17

We just take a small travel sized bottle for showers when we get there if needed and then buy sun cream, shower gel, shampoo etc in the supermarket there.

If the apartment/hotel doesn't supply beach towels we take the microfibre travel ones that you can buy from places like Mountain Warehouse as they roll up really small and are quite lightweight.

Clothing-wise though, if you're going in the summer holidays you will only need the lightest clothing - I took a couple of lightweight cardigans as well as the jacket I wore on the plane ....none of them were worn!

Hersetta427 Mon 25-Apr-16 08:05:08

We did a week in Spain with 2 children (one of which was under a year) with 1 hold bag.

RudyMentary Mon 25-Apr-16 08:07:44

We never put luggage in the hold.

dalmatianmad Mon 25-Apr-16 08:12:43

Family of 4 here and we only take hand luggage when we go for a week! I can't justify paying for suitcases and it's so much quicker at the airport when you don't take them. My Dd aged 15 manges ok with hand luggage and she a typical teen that has to have shoes, make up, 7 bikinis etc

MrsGradyOldLady Mon 25-Apr-16 08:14:40

For a family of 5 we just take one hold bag and each have a cabin bag that holds (I think) 45 litres. We've done it without cabin bags before if we've not needed beach towels. You can also get really lightweight microfibre beach towels that pack up really small. We buy toiletries and sun screen when we get there.

It's not just the saving of the hold luggage. It also saves time not having the drop off and collect hold luggage.

millimat Mon 25-Apr-16 12:52:19

Phew 😌 I feel relieved that we will be ok. Thanks everyone smile

misscph1973 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:23:19

I would also recommend just 1 hold suitcase or just cabin luggage. Easyjet charges a lot for hold luggage! I am travelling with Easyjet myself, 10 days in Portugal in May, and we are also 4. We will probably take one hold suitcase between us, but I am not booking the suitcase untill the week before, I will do a test packing to see if we even need the suitcase. If you want to bring suncream, just decant it into small containers, you can take up to 1000 (10 x 100 ml) per person. Like other posters I also resent waiting for the suitcase - and they can get lost!

WeLoveHaribo Wed 11-May-16 10:29:02

We book 2, for us 4.
I have previously done 1 case but it wasnt enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now