Holidays in Netherlands - recommendations

(11 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 22-Apr-16 11:58:20

I'm trying to start planning and pricing up a holiday for summer 2017 so I can start saving. We definitely want to go to the Netherlands. We'll have 3 Chn at 5.5, 4 and 1.5. Happy to camp/caravan assuming tents etc already there. Would probably drive from U.K. Though would consider flying.
Can anyone suggest itineraries/places/must dos? The only 2 things I know I'd like to do are 1) cycle a lot 2) go to Amsterdam for the day.
I'm not looking to do it on a shoestring but need to keep it cheap. Anything you can suggest or recommend would be awesome as no idea where to start!

paddypants13 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:08:19

'thertogenbosch (that may not be the correct spelling!) has been recommended for camping/ holidays by my Dutch auntie. The city of Arnhem is very nice. Efterling theme park was fab years ago but may be a bit pricey.

Enjoy! x

paddypants13 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:13:36

I should have said t'Hertogenbosch (again not sure of spelling is a national park area.)

GoodtoBetter Fri 22-Apr-16 12:18:00

Check out Duinrell. Theme park in a forest with loads for little kids plus indoor pool complex, bikes for hire and beach about 2 km away. An hour or by car from Amsterdam. You can camp or stay in static caravans. look on the eurocamp website.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 22-Apr-16 18:11:18

Ooh thanks, both great suggestions. Duinrell looks perfect smile

glorious Fri 22-Apr-16 18:14:01

The Hague is nice and has a big sandy beach at at Scheveningen with lovely restaurants and cafes right on the sand in the summer

No1HolidayPlanner Sat 23-Apr-16 12:19:10

We went to Duinrell last Oct and booked again for this Oct as soon as I got home!! Highly recommendedsmile

Wolpertinger Sat 23-Apr-16 12:26:49

Efteling is still brilliant and not pricey. You would be mad to miss it. Your kids are just the right age for the magic forest too so was I last year age 39 grin

paddypants13 Sat 23-Apr-16 16:51:51

Wolpertinger - Glad to hear Efterling is still as good and not too expensive.

It's years since I've been but I remember it as a really amazing place.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Sat 23-Apr-16 18:17:16

What is Efteling?

Wolpertinger Sat 23-Apr-16 20:59:17

Efteling is the most famous theme park in the Netherlands - every Dutch person has been, probably multiple times. It was Walt Disney's inspiration for Disneyland.

It has a great mixture of rides all with a fairytale theme - it's really magical, shouldn't be missed smile The fairytale forest is great for small kids and adults Plus not being Disney, you pay for entrance, lunch and that's it as you aren't accosted by merchandise on every corner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now